Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tip for lift installation

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Magnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant future
Magnetic's Tacoma Gallery
Tip for lift installation

I had read here that installing a lift via removing the lower ball-joint mount that it would be difficult to compress the upper A-arm/spindle back to the lower control-arm. I installed my lift and was expecting this to be the case, and it was the case.

Tip: I used a heavy-duty ratchet strap. I made a loop with the strap around the upper and lower control-arm, connecting the two strap hooks together. Then I ratcheted the upper and lower control-arms together and easily bolted the ball-joint mount to the spindle.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Magnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant futureMagnetic has a brilliant future
Because this is much easier. Unbolt the ball-joint mount, not the ball-joint, and the shock, and that is it. This method is faster, and easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyE8VkIqPg
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
@ 2:40...the shock wasn't mounted right... unless that's another way of doing it...

edit: kick ass video either way man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
Because this is much easier. Unbolt the ball-joint mount, not the ball-joint, and the shock, and that is it. This method is faster, and easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyE8VkIqPg
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
That's the rear shock relocation bracket, haven't you heard of the latest and greatest mod available for our Tacos??
Don't know if you're being serious or not...

I must not be up to date then...

What's so great about it? not being sarcastic, just curious.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
The part I'm talking about with the strap occurs between 1:50 and 1:52. You can see the video jump for a reason. You need to push the UCA down to start those bolts, and it is tough (impossible) by yourself. Ratchet strap, and it's no problem...
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
bolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to allbolson is a name known to all

bolson's Tacoma Gallery
Lol, I hate every part of that video. Its a how-to guide to do everything wrong to your taco....... and those wheels and tires =\\\\
Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's the rear shock relocation bracket, haven't you heard of the latest and greatest mod available for our Tacos??
What is the deal with that ?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Ghettochild is on a distinguished road

Ghettochild's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You run more risk of binding the bushings on the arms that way though. Should wait to tighten all UCA and LCA bolts until the truck is sitting on the ground with the truck's normal weight on it.
Is i possible to over tighten the LCA bolts and have it bind? what is the torque on those? it doesn't say in the video.

This looks a lot quicker than the other ways... I might have to give it a go when I get my lift in.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
flash311 is on a distinguished road
flash311's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed my front 5100's at 1.75 using this method because it looked a lot easier than prying down the LCA. Well my LCA didn't agree with this method, i lowered the truck and the wheel stayed just about where it was, about 3" higher than it should be . I'm assuming this was due to me tightening down the LCA cam bolts with it still in the air? I'm hoping that I just need to loosen them, lower the truck, and then retighten them. Any thoughts??
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Check this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-question.html
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
I definitely made sure to install the spring perch the correct way. It was ingrained in my head after seeing what happened when someone installed it upside down like in that thread and rode on it.

It seems to be much better now after loosening the LCA cams and lowering the truck so the weight was on it, and retightened. Now they're sitting approx 2-1/4". Does that seem within reason for having the 5100's set at 1.75"?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
The video is cool "I Guess" however I don't agree with advertising a spacer lift to jump your truck that's a good way to blow shocks. I've done quite a few lifts on 2nd Gens and I've always disconnected the upper ball joint from the UCA's and I can swap out the coils in about 30 to 40min that way but to each his own. And that rear shock setup is a little sketchy to say the least.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
Quote:
Didn't you read my earlier post
Yeah thanks, that was what i needed to see. Unfortunately I saw that after I already screwed it up. That's the great thing about forums like these, you can frantically search for an answer when you think you really did something wrong and get it straightened out before goin to bed.