Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Really hating vibrations from new lift..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
rolltide05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Micheal
rolltide05's Tacoma Gallery
Really hating vibrations from new lift..

Well about two weeks ago I purchased my new Taco. Done some research and heard about the dreaded vibrations and figured I would take my chances in lifting my new truck. Decided on the Toytec Ultimate Lift. Well lift went on yesterday as well as the tires and wheels and guess what? I have vibes and cant fix them. One of which is a hum/growl in the front end. I believe this may be the diff... Would a diff drop possibly help with this particular problem since I left it off during the install? One vibe I have is a studder on start-off and the others come in around 45 or so. Tried a CB drop and it helped a little but not much on the low speed stuff and not at all on the higher speed vibes. So I decided I would try to rotate the rubber o-ring and that made it worse. I reckon my next option is to try some 3 degree shims in the rear and start from scratch and see what fixes what.The feeling I am getting is a sporadic vibe in the seat which i am thinking is from the rear end and almost feels like a unbalanced tire but doesnt have the consistent vibe like a tire would. Any suggestions would be great. If I do not get this solved there may be a complete lift/tires and wheels in the classifieds very soon.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
DCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for ya.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that your front diff bearing is the culprit. I suffer, along with many others, with this problem. Diff drop on my truck made the vibes worse.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Were your tires road force balanced ?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Yeah had them done three times already.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Diff drop and possibly shims, if coming from the rear... Did you just get it done at Steve's?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
What drop bracket did you try? Beefed?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do some more searching. There seems to be a concensus on this forum that a diff drop on a 2nd gen is pointless.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99PreRunner. View Post
Diff drop and possibly shims, if coming from the rear... Did you just get it done at Steve's?
Yeah I was talking to Seth and we are gonna try the shims this week. We didnt put in the dif drop either so I think it will be trial and error.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
I just tried the one from toytec.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
Tacobox is talking about one of these CB drops

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bee...ml#post2691227

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
I am going to purchase an angle gauge and try to figure it out without throwing on a bunch of parts in random order. I am almost certain that my last angle at the rear is out of wack from just looking at it. Beefes CB drop looks alot better than the one from Toytec though. I wish this was as easy as my fj was and didnt have these hurdles. On a good, note the truck looks sick with the lift and all.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide05 View Post
I am going to purchase an angle gauge and try to figure it out without throwing on a bunch of parts in random order.
Good call
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Just live with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide05 View Post
Well about two weeks ago I purchased my new Taco. Done some research and heard about the dreaded vibrations and figured I would take my chances in lifting my new truck. Decided on the Toytec Ultimate Lift. Well lift went on yesterday as well as the tires and wheels and guess what? I have vibes and cant fix them. One of which is a hum/growl in the front end. I believe this may be the diff... Would a diff drop possibly help with this particular problem since I left it off during the install? One vibe I have is a studder on start-off and the others come in around 45 or so. Tried a CB drop and it helped a little but not much on the low speed stjuff and not at all on the higher speed vibes. So I decided I would try to rotate the rubber o-ring and that made it worse. I reckon my next option is to try some 3 degree shims in the rear and start from scratch and see what fixes what.The feeling I am getting is a sporadic vibe in the seat which i am thinking is from the rear end and almost feels like a unbalanced tire but doesnt have the consistent vibe like a tire would. Any suggestions would be great. If I do not get this solved there may be a complete lift/tires and wheels in the classifieds very soon.
I did the Toytec Ulimate With Dakar leaf pack, LRUCA,Carrier drop. My ? is it a vibe at 45 to 65, or noise? The stock mush parts suck up small road vibs. in the steering wheel & tire noise + U have bigger tires. If your mirrors aren't fuzzy get used to it. I like the squeek of the Dakar's.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
I did the Toytec Ulimate With Dakar leaf pack, LRUCA,Carrier drop. My ? is it a vibe at 45 to 65, or noise? The stock mush parts suck up small road vibs. in the steering wheel & tire noise + U have bigger tires. If your mirrors aren't fuzzy get used to it. I like the squeek of the Dakar's.
The Dakars don't have to squeak
Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
My steering wheel doesnt shake at all. I can just feel it in the rear end and in the seats.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
I just wanted to say any modification will change the feel. Do the Diff drop. Pull the skids, it was the easy part of the install. Also check torque speeck after 50 & 1000 miles. Just my 2
Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #18
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
know how you feel..........

we have virtually the same truck and do have the same lift. i, too, had vibes particularly after the tire/wheel install. have to agree with mr. ed to a point (just live with it). learned here long ago this is not unusual when performing these mods, and the diffdrop may make no difference at all(didn't install mine either) your op indicated you posted the day after the install---------i have found time has helped tremendously simply as the lift settles. prob not what ya wanna hear but good luck nonetheless
Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #19

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The Dakars don't have to squeak
Mine squeek most of the time. I just hear it when windows down going slow, parking lot's ect. I still like it.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
diff drop will give your cv's a better angel. so it's not totally pointless. Also research stuff about changing your drive shaft, i think I read something about the drive shaft's when I was researching lifts.