Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Did they give me the wrong spring? OME 886 and 5100

Old 08-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
Did they give me the wrong spring? OME 886 and 5100

So i had to order from two different places for the front end lift. I ended up getting the 5100s all the way around and the AAL in the back.

When it comes to installation and assembly, the 5100s should be set at the 0.00 setting or the .85 setting. But nothing higher, correct?

With the 886 springs, are they too stiff or should I have gotten the 885?

I read some where that its not advised to use the 5100s with OME coils cause they are not valved? Is this true, and if so whatd should i do?

I called both Wheeler's and Downsouth and asked their sales reps (oon advise from this forum) for the proper hardware for my needs. Im not sayign I got the wrong thngs or its anyone one this sites fault...im just confused. So much information saying "go this way" then on the next page "that's wrong".

I have the stuff in my garage and would like to install it but dont want to mess shit up.

What should I do?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
the 885s and 886s are to different rated springs. The 886 is a lil stiffer and made for more loading bearing (like bumpers and winches). Set the 5100s at zero. I'm running 5100s with 885s and the ride is great...
Old 08-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the compatibility issue, but I do know that the 886 spring is designed to support the weight of a plate bumper/winch so if you got just a stock front end it will end up being super stiff.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

what about the issue of the 5100s not being a valved shock? What is that all about? I read somewhere that cause of the higher spring rate assembling the shocks annd coils will be almost impossible. Someone said it could snap off the fitting holding it together. Is installing the 886 impossible to do in my garage?

So if i dont have the bumper and winch installed anytime soon, th eride will just be much stiffer until its installed?

What about the lift....is it correct to set the 5100s at .85? That is the maximum height to go along with preloading the shocking?

on a side note, is there a thread anyone knows of off the tops of their heads with an installation guide for the coils and shocks?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's are fine with 885's but most people frown on running them with the 886 springs
Old 08-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
what about the issue of the 5100s not being a valved shock? What is that all about? I read somewhere that cause of the higher spring rate assembling the shocks annd coils will be almost impossible. Someone said it could snap off the fitting holding it together. Is installing the 886 impossible to do in my garage?

So if i dont have the bumper and winch installed anytime soon, th eride will just be much stiffer until its installed?

What about the lift....is it correct to set the 5100s at .85? That is the maximum height to go along with preloading the shocking?

on a side note, is there a thread anyone knows of off the tops of their heads with an installation guide for the coils and shocks?
Do NOT set the 5100's at .85, leave them at 0. The 886's are very stiff and tall. If I were going to get 886's I would have gone with the Nitrochargers they were meant to work with. I'm sure the 5100's will work but the 886's might overpower them and the dampening may not really be sufficient. Without a heavy plate bumper and winch, it will be a rough ride. The 886's are meant to have 200+ lbs hanging over the front end of the truck. You'll be right at, if not higher than 3" of lift without a plate bumper and winch.

You can compress the 886's, the shock that you're mounting them on will not dictate how hard of a process this will be. It will be equally difficult on any strut. The 886's have a high spring rate so it will be very difficult to assemble them but it can be done with a good spring compressor (or might be worth paying a garage to pre-assemble them for you).
Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100s set at 0 and OME 886 coils. Granted I have the bumper.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can you wait to put the 886's on til you get your heavy bumper? You can put your stock springs on the 5100's and set them at what ever you want your lift at. Then when you get your heavy bumper, set the 5100's at 0 and put the 886's on.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Leave the 5100s at 0. And why did you get 886s? 886s are designed for when you want to run a heavy front bumper. The install is easy, did it with a few jack stands but didn't use one of those unsafe coil compressors you rent at Autozone. Brought my struts and coils to my friends shop that has a coil compressor. You can re use the OEM Top Hats, just don't re use U-Bolts. Return the 886s and get 885s if you have a DC or.... If you have an AC or SC get the 884s. Keep the 5100s at 0"!!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Very Nice !

I plan on getting a plate bumper, but it will take a while to manufacture. Once I get the bumper everything should be fine? I guess i can wait for the install. Problem is its all suppose to go in one shot, new tires (wont fit with out lift) and new shocks/springs.

If im setting the shocks at 0.00, why is it people recomended getting them? If the functionality of the adjustable height isnt even goign to be used why not go with a cheaper shock that DOESNT have that extra purpose? I assume it would have been cheaper for a standard body shock.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I plan on getting a plate bumper, but it will take a while to manufacture. Once I get the bumper everything should be fine? I guess i can wait for the install. Problem is its all suppose to go in one shot, new tires (wont fit with out lift) and new shocks/springs.

If im setting the shocks at 0.00, why is it people recomended getting them? If the functionality of the adjustable height isnt even goign to be used why not go with a cheaper shock that DOESNT have that extra purpose? I assume it would have been cheaper for a standard body shock.
Who recommended 5100's with OME 886 springs , especially pre loaded ?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Who recommended 5100's with OME 886 springs , especially pre loaded ?
+1

Granted, I'm kinda new to this scene but I thought I'd read on here about 5100's and 886's being a bad combination...

Disclaimer: Chances are I could be wrong and as stated above, I'm kinda new to the scene of lifting trucks...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
People only set it at .85 when they use the 885's
Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
People only set it at .85 when they use the 885's
and thats not a good combo...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I know, but I read that. people did it because the 885's were sagging, but I would not reccomend doing that...
Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
and thats not a good combo...
I did it!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I did it!
I thought you said you had billies and 886's ?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I did it!
Doesnt make it a good set up.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I thought you said you had billies and 886's ?
Only because the 885s at 0.85" still wasn't high, or firm enough.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
So answer me this! Why is it so bad to put 885s @ 0.85"? Just because it's possible to over extend the billy?