Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Differential question

Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Ok, so I'm a noob, but is this the differential and is this where I install the diff drop spacer?

i do believe thats the tie rod for turning....the diff spacer goes under the truck and drops the 2 diff bolts down an inch to reduce that angle

i would post a pic, but the allpro skidplate covers it all up underneath there
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The front diff is going to be covered by the skid plate. Find the front drive shafts, and follow them to the front dif.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Is this where I put the diff drop? it's above the skid plate...

follow the differential to where it bolts to the frame. there are only 2 bolts. one on each side. thats where the 2 bolts and spacers go
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
ricepow is on a distinguished road
ricepow's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one that thinks if you confuse the tie rod for the differential that maybe you should have this work done by a qualified mechanic. Im all for learning, but some things should just be left to professionals. Sometimes trying to save money costs you more in the end.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepow View Post
Am I the only one that thinks if you confuse the tie rod for the differential that maybe you should have this work done by a qualified mechanic. Im all for learning, but some things should just be left to professionals. Sometimes trying to save money costs you more in the end.

No, you probably aren't the only one...........
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
This is where the spacer goes, right?

thats it...and by ur other post, ur getting it aligned and all, so i'm guessing ur already done w/ this part...lol
Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #11
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, you probably aren't the only one...........
Part of me agrees with ricepow. However, an even bigger part of me says Go For It Jason!. You have put alot of work into your truck already and it will be something to be proud of when you are done. And you can say you did it all. Luckily we have people like Hodgey and Chris who will help us along the way...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
thats it...and by ur other post, ur getting it aligned and all, so i'm guessing ur already done w/ this part...lol
Yep, got it! Once I found this, I was 99% sure that it was right. I just posted that note and picture to get some peace of mind. But, when I didn't get a response after about 20 minutes, I just went ahead with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
Part of me agrees with ricepow. However, an even bigger part of me says Go For It Jason!. You have put alot of work into your truck already and it will be something to be proud of when you are done. And you can say you did it all. Luckily we have people like Hodgey and Chris who will help us along the way...
This is exactly why I wanted to do it. I wasn't going to put a lift on at all until I started reading this forum and found out what was involved. It's really not hard at all, it just takes time. Took me and my buddy about 10 hours, but we took our time and goofed around a bit...

I was pretty nervous about doing it simply because I never had before and the fact that the truck is brand new! I didn't want to screw it up. But, I took my time and double and triple checked everything. Torqued down everything necessary per the specs and once I got the tires on, nothing was rubbing, clicking or knocking. Well, except that an inner weight on the right front wheel would hit the sway bar when fully locked to the left. But, when I got the new tires today, I mentioned it and they put lower profile weights on, so no more problems!

So thanks to everyone for the help! A build thread will be coming later today with pictures...
Old 11-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all,

I'm planning on adding a lift in the front using 5100. Do I need the 1" differential drop kit if the setting is 1.75? What about if 2.5?

My truck is '05 DC 4x4 long bed with rear TSB springs.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning on adding a lift in the front using 5100. Do I need the 1" differential drop kit if the setting is 1.75? What about if 2.5?

My truck is '05 DC 4x4 long bed with rear TSB springs.

Thanks.
it shouldnt be needed, but better safe than sorry. more so at 2.5 over 1.75
Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you're making sure you're doing the right thing by posting pics like you did up there and getting feedback from experienced ones--- I think you could tackle pretty much anything

well except maybe a tranny rebuild... those are tricky
Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Jhodge83 and Jason.

Does anyone here use the 1.75" and added 1" diff drop?