Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2008, 5 lug suspension "good enough?"

Old 08-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
potacomac is on a distinguished road
potacomac's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2008, 5 lug suspension "good enough?"

New to the tacoma world, but have been a backyard wrench since kid days and "can do" most repairs and some upgrades but not without some help, so thanks in advance for any reply's.

I just got a 2008 2 wd 5 lug, (indigo, love it blue). I go camping a few times a year and tow a trailer (electric brakes) loaded with gear as well as the bed loaded. With this new truck the handling was a little squirrelly, like the front was just a little light.

Can any one help me with a suggestion to correct this? Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
If towing/hauling a good amount of weight with the 5 lug, as with any truck really, all that weight effects the front suspension.

All the weight in the back is raising up the front suspension, which will alter camber/caster/toe angles.

The 5 lugs, by nature are on the higher side of the caster spec. 3.9 degress of caster is the desired measurement, so they'll ride a little rougher as more of the road impact is angled towards the driver.

You may be effecting the caster angle with the bed loaded and hooked up, making it feel a bit squirrly.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you should beef up your rear leafs a bit with an add a leaf to stop the sag in the rear when you are towing.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
MOD DOG Bites!

Thanks for the reply's.

Agreed to add a leaf, does anyone think a leaf pack is the better way to go and what about shocks?

I have been snooping around for a solution, but they all seem to be for the pre-runner or 4x4. Bilsteins are mentioned everywhere, well is the MOD DOG going to bite me or have I already been bitten, bad dog bad!

Are bilsteins and a leaf pack in order? Any deals out there?

Thanks again, great site by the way.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Question

Has any other 5 lugger thought about this situation? Found a good solution, AAL or full pack, and what about the billies, please advise, thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Wink Billie's and Icon 3 Pack AAL

For those who are looking also, this is what I have found.

It is a consensus on the Bilsteins 5100 shock set at 2.5 inches and use the stock coils.

For the rear, the icon progressive 3 leaf pack and billie 5100 seems to be getting positive reviews because it gives a smooth ride. One note was to use caution for serious off road for the rear shock to top out and break.

OK? Any one see problems here? Thanks for the help.