Notices

Need 3 more inches of lift.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
SeatownTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
SeatownTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need 3 more inches of lift.

Hey guys,

So I may have jumped the gun a bit when I saw them, but I couldn't help myself. I recently bought a set of Dynapro Mud Terrains for $750 off Craigslist. They're in great condition with only about 300 miles put on them. They're 285/75/16. Usually it would cost about $1,100 or so.

I'm running a '10 4x4 Offroad with a 3" spacer lift that my buddy and I just put in. I know that kind of lift probably wouldn't be a lot of your guys' first choice, but I was on a bit of budget when I bought it.

Now, I'm not even going to consider putting a body lift on top of that, but I need ATLEAST 3 more inches of lift in order to run these MT's.

I'll be wrapping these around Wheelers Type-B steelies too. Again with the cheapo budget.

But how can I get the next 3 inches of lift? Do I need to ditch the spacers and think about a new springs or coils? Or...?

...Thanks a lot guys. I've been following the forums here for a while now and finally said it was time to make an account.

- Sorry if this is a completely novice question too... I'm no genius yet. But I'm hooked on it now.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeatownTaco View Post
Hey guys,

So I may have jumped the gun a bit when I saw them, but I couldn't help myself. I recently bought a set of Dynapro Mud Terrains for $750 off Craigslist. They're in great condition with only about 300 miles put on them. They're 285/75/16. Usually it would cost about $1,100 or so.

I'm running a '10 4x4 Offroad with a 3" spacer lift that my buddy and I just put in. I know that kind of lift probably wouldn't be a lot of your guys' first choice, but I was on a bit of budget when I bought it.

Now, I'm not even going to consider putting a body lift on top of that, but I need ATLEAST 3 more inches of lift in order to run these MT's.

I'll be wrapping these around Wheelers Type-B steelies too. Again with the cheapo budget.

But how can I get the next 3 inches of lift? Do I need to ditch the spacers and think about a new springs or coils? Or...?

...Thanks a lot guys. I've been following the forums here for a while now and finally said it was time to make an account.

- Sorry if this is a completely novice question too... I'm no genius yet. But I'm hooked on it now.
The only way to go over 3" on our trucks is:

-drop bracket lift
-body lift
- spindle lift (2wd only)
- sas
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Since when do you need a 6" lift to run 33" tires ?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I'd re-sell the tires and get smaller ones...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Since when do you need a 6" lift to run 33" tires ?
Aren't you running those exact tires (but 17s) on 3" of lift?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
i have 33's and im at 3 inches up front and 2 in the rear. 6 inches are ghey
Old 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Aren't you running those exact tires (but 17s) on 3" of lift?
Not 285 , I'm currently running 265/70/17 Dynapro MT's

Next up 255/80/17 KM2
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
shouldn't be much more than some minor trimming and possible cab mount chop, i believe you want 4.5" backspacing on the new rims , or 1.25" spidertrax spacers
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 285/75/16's with 5100's all the way around eibach springs setting .85 rear 2" AAL and top plate spacers with barley any rubbing
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I 'm running 305/65r/17 with a three inch spacer lift and haven't had any problems other than a little inner fender trimming [true I wouldn't want to get it twisted up offroad] but it looks really good going down the road
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
SeatownTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
SeatownTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So should I just go with these steelies http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm as planned, have them+tires mounted, and then deal with the trimming? That was the initial plan.

After I bought the tires, I took them into a local place and asked to get them mounted. The guys shat bricks and said there would be not nearly enough clearance. That was shitty. Their conclusion was to get up to at least 6inches.

I don't understand why they said that.

Thanks guys
Old 08-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #12
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So should I just go with these steelies http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm as planned, have them+tires mounted, and then deal with the trimming? That was the initial plan.
yep
Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

After I bought the tires, I took them into a local place and asked to get them mounted. The guys shat bricks and said there would be not nearly enough clearance. That was shitty. Their conclusion was to get up to at least 6inches.

I don't understand why they said that.

Thanks guys
It was probably the first time they had seen what you presented to them. Telling you to get 6" lift and come back ensures one of two things:

1) You won't come back
or
2) It covers their ass when you come back with a 6" lift.