Notices

Tires rubbing badly with 3" lift, help!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
nathanscot is on a distinguished road
Army: Squad Leader B CO 1-32 IN
Name: Nate
nathanscot's Tacoma Gallery
Tires rubbing badly with 3" lift, help!

I just had a toytec 3" lift installed and I asked around and it was my understanding that my tires, 285/70/17, would fit, if not just slight rubbing. Now I am not home, I am in Afghanistan and my cousin is getting the work done for me. He tells me that it is rubbing pretty badly. Was I mistaken, those tires won't fit. What can I do to make them fit. Is getting a 3" body lift a good idea to fix this?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running stock wheels? Give us more info.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Where is it rubbing? What wheels do you have?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
YankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant futureYankeePirate has a brilliant future

Army: I jump out of perfectly good airplanes... among other things.
Name: Lef
YankeePirate's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to YankeePirate
It is probably rubbing on the plastic liner on the inside of the wheel well. Have your cousin start the truck and replicate what makes the tires rub. Then either get out and look or have someone standing outside look at the tires to tell him where they are rubbing. I have a 3" toytec lift, 18" Wheels and 285/65/R18 tires and they were rubbing on the bit of fender and wheel well liner. I just used a utility knife to cut away what was rubbing until it stopped. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Where is it rubbing? What wheels do you have?
You got a set of spacers for sale that would prolly solve the proble unless jrod scoops em.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
I also think its rubbing on the plastic in the wheel wells, particularly the edges of the backside of the front bumper where it "ends' in the wheel wells. Its a very easy fix and you can't visually even tell anything has been done if you make the cuts cleanly.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
I am running the goodyear duratracs 285/70/17. If I trim peices out, won't that only be good for regular driving? I don't go crazy when it comes to off roading but I do little mild stuff from time to time, wouldn't it still rub if I go over decent sized bumps?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
You got a set of spacers for sale that would prolly solve the proble unless jrod scoops em.
yea pendng tho lol
Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanscot View Post
I am running the goodyear duratracs 285/70/17. If I trim peices out, won't that only be good for regular driving? I don't go crazy when it comes to off roading but I do little mild stuff from time to time, wouldn't it still rub if I go over decent sized bumps?
What kind of rims are you running? If they are stock the backspacing is too much and you are most likely rubbing the uca... thats why we asked. I doubt its the plastic rubbing that bad, if so start trimming. But if your running stock wheels just get some wheel spacers and you should be fine.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
I've got the XD Series revolver's 17'' as well as the spidertrax on there. I wish I was home so I could investigate the problem more myself.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanscot View Post
I've got the XD Series revolver's 17'' as well as the spidertrax on there. I wish I was home so I could investigate the problem more myself.
mhmm thats odd what backspacing are the rims? Maybe the combo or right backspacing + spacers = problem. Did your cousin or brother look were it was rubbing and start cutting?