Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

got the lift installed...

Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
got the lift installed...

got the front lift installed and I'm at Discount Tire getting the tires mounted. After that and the alignment, I'll take and post pics.

But, I set the ToyTec coilovers like the instructions said and I got 4" of lift rather than 3. And the damn things are practically impossible to adjust on the truck, so I'll have to take the shock assembly back off to adjust down. In the meantime, am I gonna damage my CVs if I am only city driving? I also dropped the diff and inch.

But, so far...I like!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it -- but I may be paranoid about things like that. Fix the height first and then go get your wheels...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
I wouldn't do it -- but I may be paranoid about things like that. Fix the height first and then go get your wheels...
Well, I've already got my tires and has my alignment done. However, I did the alignment at Firestone and I bought the lifetime alignments so I could make adjustments.

Next weekend I'll probably take it apart and adjust it down.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Where are the picsssssssssssssssssssss?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
4" is BAD. Not sure how long your CV's will last. I have heard some that fail pretty quickley, others can last a few months.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
How much is it to replace the CV joint(s)?
It's one of those things thats a $12 part but if you have someone else do it they'll put a hole in your wallet. If you do replace them your self make sure you get the solid slip on ones and not the ones that are cut in half and you clamp them together.

IMO just lower it an inch and don't worry about it.

Truck looks good by the way!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
It's one of those things thats a $12 part but if you have someone else do it they'll put a hole in your wallet. If you do replace them your self make sure you get the solid slip on ones and not the ones that are cut in half and you clamp them together.

IMO just lower it an inch and don't worry about it.

Truck looks good by the way!
Oh, that's what I plan to do - take it down an inch. Just wanted to know...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
4" is BAD. Not sure how long your CV's will last. I have heard some that fail pretty quickley, others can last a few months.
So, tonight I finally tackled adjusting those coilovers... I was going to do it on Thursday, when I had some help, but I was starting to get a little paranoid about blowing a CV joint. I've heard days or months... So, I went to O'Reilly's got the last couple of tools that I needed (borrowed someone elses last time) and did it myself.

Took me about 2 hours (would have been a little easier and faster with someone else) but I adjusted the coilovers down just over a half inch (which should translate into 1" lower). As soon as I torqued everything down, put the tires back on and lowered the truck off the jacks, I measured it and it was EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I drove it around the block and it appears to have gone down almost 3/4". I'm gonna check it again when I get to work tomorrow and see if it's settled anymore. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to take it apart again and adjust more!

In order to get the coilover off, I had to take the ball joint of the UCA off the spindle which I wasn't planning on - so I practically had to take the whole damn thing apart!

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
HI-TECH LIFTS
DAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant futureDAN LUSHER has a brilliant future
DAN LUSHER's Tacoma Gallery
Got a question all cvs are pretty much the same to much angle and they bind. I have lifted alot of trucks, i mean alot, if they are raised off (full drop)the ground and wheels rotate freely , there will be no and i mean no issues chevy, ford , dodge. Toyota is no difference drop the diff 1 inch no problems whats all the early failure talk. Have not seen any fail.