1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help: Shocks, Struts and Coils

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NicNac22, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Aug 17, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 [OP] D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    I appologize if this is a repost of any kind, ive tried searching but im not finding the answers i want.

I want to know the difference between the shocks and struts. And all these different ones with the OME? or OEM...i might be getting letters backwards, and the Rough Country, Billstein...im lost:confused:. Also what about coils...do i need them, or need to replace them? I havent looked under my truck for them. I know our dually has them.

And please dont flame me for not knowing, im a noob and trying to learn. All i know is my truck has the original shocks from 95 and it has 212xxx miles, so i kinda need some new ones.:D

Thanks

2. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you're still using original shocks, you should probably replace them. I'd bet the ride is a little bouncy! Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could go to a local shop and get an OEM (original equipment) replacement or go with something a little more high performance. You could always contact one of the vendors on here for pricing on the 5100 series shocks.

As far as the coils, they do get tired over time but if you're happy with the ride you may not need to replace them. Same with the leaf springs, they do wear out over time but depending on the condition they may not need to be replaced. Are you lifted or are you trying to lift the truck in the process?

3. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    I bought the truck a couple weeks ago, and a little bouncy is not the word for it, you hit a little bump around 60 and oh my goodness it feels like your riding a bull, its kinda fun and all but a little too much bounce sometimes. I dont believe the leafs are worn at all, as the previous owner didnt really tow much if anything with it, its had the cap on it since he got it too. Its not lifted right now, but if i do lift it i deff need some bars on the side, right now its at my max, i can just barely scoot my hinie in. I dont think i would want it much taller, i dont want to lose too much mpg, it is a V6, maybe an inch or two from the shocks. I will be doing a little off roading and exploring through the back woods.

I read shocks and struts were different though. I know what coils are and where they are located. I wanted to know the purpose, i dont really remember seeing them under the truck but i also didnt really look for them.

Payday is fri so i wanted to get some new ones, and winter is coming up and i was thinking about getting a little more beefy tire as we get a good bit of snow up here in the mountains and not all roads are plowed. Plus my tread is getting low so i will need new tires by then anyways.

4. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Shocks are in the rear of the truck and struts are basically a special shock in the front and support and dampen the front coil spring. Both shocks and struts perform the same function as PSU mentioned above, they dampen the ride so you don't just keep bouncing everytime you hit a bump.

If you want to stay stock, look into the Bilstein 5100's. They will be a huge ride improvement and maintain stock height. The fronts are adjustable so you can set them for a slight lift if you want to in the future.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking the location of on your truck. The coils are mounted on the struts and are in the front of the truck, just inside of the tires. The rear shocks are connected to the rear axle at the bottom and the frame at the top. I hope this helps!

5. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so i just need new shocks then, not struts. I know where they are all located, I know basics but not details. The stock part doesnt matter to me, I just want a good shock that can handle the occasional play and 4 wheeling.

With the different brands are some made more for off roading and others just for daily driving is what i was asking. Sorry i might not have been clear.

6. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Some are definitely more made for off road purposes than others. Some of the higher end ones are rebuildable and can be custom valved for specific applications (Fox, Icon, King for example). They can take bigger hits and keep the oils cooler so the shock doesn't overheat. These are very expensive so I wouldn't recommend them unless you really need them. The 5100's seem to be a good compromise of performance and cost. They ride great, will perform well off road but don't break the bank. They are not rebuildable so when they're shot, you just throw them away and buy another set. I'm a second gen but I have 5100's and am very happy with the on-road ride as my Tacoma is my daily driver. Others have used them off road and also had great experiences with their performance. Bilstein also makes a direct OEM replacement shock that is not the 5100 series that would also work well and would be less expensive (At least they do for the 2nd Gens, you'd have to wait for a 1st Genner to weigh in for sure though).
    This is the 5100 kit. There are certainly cheaper options for shocks but these are popular with the TW folks and seem to be a good value for the money.

7. Aug 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    Cool, thanks, I had a vendor contact me about some rough country's i told him i was gonna do some reseach and get back to him.

Products Discussed in

To Top