LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME rear shock install on 1st gen questions.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
OME rear shock install on 1st gen questions.

Couple questions if anyone can help.

I installed my OME-90004 front shocks in my 881 coils this morning and afterwards noticed I may have gained some lift. I'm 40 in on the drivers side and 41 on the passenger side. I'm not running flares so this is a true measurement from the ground up to the center of the axel and up to the fender. (285/75/16 tires)

Keep in mind I have been running the stock tokico shocks since the day I drove it off the lot in 2002 with 90k on them now.
I certainly dont recall it being that tall before. I thought it was like 37.5 and 38 1/4 before. It's actually more level it seems like now because my rear springs will need replaced soon and I think the measurements are pretty close to 39in on both sides.

PLacebo effect on the front or did I somehow gain a small amount by ditching the 90k tokicos?

Question (2)
The lower shock mount bolts in the front.
I put them in backwards. The nut is now on the back side. Does it matter?

Question (3)
I'm going to be installing my rear OME-60062 shocks in the morning. I thought I read somewhere that they were "side specific". However after talking with Ben at toytec he says no and furthermore claims he's never heard of a "side specific" toyota at different shock lengths except in non lifted applications.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also since I am needing rear springs, I would like to ditch the Toytec AAL and go with a specific leaf pack that is the equivalent to my 3in 881/90004 setup in the front. Suggestions?
Alcan? toytec? Expedition?
And I would assume since they would be a 3 in lift spring that my OME rear 60062 shocks will still fit/be suited for this application

Thx in advance!!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Couple questions if anyone can help.

I installed my OME-90004 front shocks in my 881 coils this morning and afterwards noticed I may have gained some lift. I'm 40 in on the drivers side and 41 on the passenger side. I'm not running flares so this is a true measurement from the ground up to the center of the axel and up to the fender. (285/75/16 tires)

Keep in mind I have been running the stock tokico shocks since the day I drove it off the lot in 2002 with 90k on them now.
I certainly dont recall it being that tall before. I thought it was like 37.5 and 38 1/4 before. It's actually more level it seems like now because my rear springs will need replaced soon and I think the measurements are pretty close to 39in on both sides.

PLacebo effect on the front or did I somehow gain a small amount by ditching the 90k tokicos?

Question (2)
Edit: whoops. I don't think so).

Question (3)
I'm going to be installing my rear OME-60062 shocks in the morning. I thought I read somewhere that they were "side specific". However after talking with Ben at toytec he says no and furthermore claims he's never heard of a "side specific" toyota at different shock lengths except in non lifted applications.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Rears only have one part number. I think only the stock shocks and the 5100s (maybe other Billies too, dont' know) are side-specific. I think the OMEs have enough travel to where this is not an issue.

Also since I am needing rear springs, I would like to ditch the Toytec AAL and go with a specific leaf pack that is the equivalent to my 3in 881/90004 setup in the front. Suggestions?
Alcan? toytec? Expedition?
And I would assume since they would be a 3 in lift spring that my OME rear 60062 shocks will still fit/be suited for this application

I am darn near level with my setup (sig). Rear is .25 inch higher than front, but I have a cap.

Thx in advance!!
De nada.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Question (2)

You should have the nut on the front side towards the front bumper. But your a Prerunner so It's not like it's going to damage your CV boot. but when you go to 4wd put the bolt the right way or you will rip a boot.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
You should have the nut on the front side towards the front bumper. But your a Prerunner so It's not like it's going to damage your CV boot. but when you go to 4wd put the bolt the right way or you will rip a boot.
I didn't think it matter but the bolt seems to be angled upwards towards the rear of the truck. Probably just go ahead and spin em around and re torque everything tommorow morn after I get the rears on.
Tiregate yesterday. Front OME's on today. Rear OME's tommorrow and Snorkel on friday.
Been a busy week.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #5

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
De nada.
Thank you sir.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't think it matter but the bolt seems to be angled upwards towards the rear of the truck. Probably just go ahead and spin em around and re torque everything tommorow morn after I get the rears on.
Tiregate yesterday. Front OME's on today. Rear OME's tommorrow and Snorkel on friday.
Been a busy week.
Yeah that bolt will rip your CV boots I you were a 4x4 but your fine for now
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Yeah that bolt will rip your CV boots I you were a 4x4 but your fine for now
How is this physically possible? I can't find my picture right now or go look at my truck. Do you mean at full lock?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
How is this physically possible? I can't find my picture right now or go look at my truck. Do you mean at full lock?
At full compression your CV boot is really close to the lower shock bolt head and if it's put on backwards the end of the bolt will contact the boot and rip it trust me I've seen it happen.