Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's @1.75 w/OEM spring or Eibach @0

Old 08-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
5100's @1.75 w/OEM spring or Eibach @0

As the title states I've decided to go with a mild setup for now and run 265/75 on current wheels and stock UCA for now. I'm planning on loading it up and requesting to TSB for the rear and 5100's all around. This wont cost me a mint and should hold me over for a few years (well see). So I'm just trying to decide if I should buy the Eibach spring or not. I have the TRD OR springs and they will be compressed when I set the clip at the 1.75 setting so will it ride rough? Also my plan is to take the truck in and hopefully the dealer will order the TSB springs for me then the day before going back install the new front setup and get a free alignment in the process ??? LOL Will this work? and will it be worth it to get the Eibach spring? Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I have the rear tsb & just installed 5100s up front the truck rides nice
Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the eibachs set at 0 instead of the OME springs set at 1.75. You'll have a smoother ride that way because the eibach spring has a higher spring rate, and when paired with the Bilstein 5100's, it's like a match made in heaven.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1youluv2hate View Post
I have the rear tsb & just installed 5100s up front the truck rides nice
So you using the stock spring? and what setting on the 5100's?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You wont like it. Not that it wont do what you specified your looking for, but everytime you see a tacoma rolling on 33s or log in to TW you are gonna wish you had went ahead and got what you really want...you know you want it
Old 08-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
Go with the eibachs set at 0 instead of the OME springs set at 1.75. You'll have a smoother ride that way because the eibach spring has a higher spring rate, and when paired with the Bilstein 5100's, it's like a match made in heaven.
Ok thats what I was looking for. Maybe I should get all the top plate hardware too = easy swap?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfTaco View Post
You wont like it. Not that it wont do what you specified your looking for, but everytime you see a tacoma rolling on 33s or log in to TW you are gonna wish you had went ahead and got what you really want...you know you want it
I hear ya but for now it's a DD and 95% street so I dont want to kill MPG and have to buy all the other stuff to go to the next level. There seems to be sooo much more involved to go to 3" and 33's. That said you're probably right and I'll get there later. I'm just itchin to get some lift now and my budget is not much right now.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I set them at 1.75
Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
I have bilstein 5100 with factory trd shocks up springs up front. shocks set at 1.75. i've had this setup for a year and have been anxious to go bigger. should have gone with 2.5" setting up front but i don't want to do all that work again and realign.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
wombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud of

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post

I currently have 5100's set at 1.75. The ride is not bad but a little rough at times. However, I'm getting the Eibachs and am going to set my 5100's at 0. It's just cleaner than compressing the stock spring.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Eibachs, setting the 5100's at 1.75 will ride very rough. The TRD Off Road has a progressive coil so the more you compress it or preload it the spring rate takes off. The TRD Sport and SR5's come with linear coils that would ride a little better when pre-loaded. Lift the truck with taller springs, it'll be a much better ride in the end.

Also, I don't know if you'll get an alignment out of the TSB. They won't be touching the front suspension so I'm not sure if they'll align it for you or not (I'm not familiar with the new TSB). Just a heads up, you might want to ask the dealer that's performing the work.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. For a daily driver, which springs give a smoother ride - OME 884s or Eibachs?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. For a daily driver, which springs give a smoother ride - OME 884s or Eibachs?
Depends on what you want. 884's have a lower spring rate so they'd be a bit softer. 884's are 588 #/in and Eibachs are 620 #/in (for reference, stock is 540). Eibach's are very 'planted' on the road. They don't allow the truck to roll in corners and don't dive when breaking. The 5100's do a good job dampening the Eibach's so you don't feel like you're riding on a hay wagon (for those that have never been near a farm and don't get the reference, hay wagons don't have suspension). I have never riden in a truck with 884's but I love the ride with Eibach's. FWIW, I drive mostly on pavement.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I currently have 5100's set at 1.75. The ride is not bad but a little rough at times. However, I'm getting the Eibachs and am going to set my 5100's at 0. It's just cleaner than compressing the stock spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Get the Eibachs, setting the 5100's at 1.75 will ride very rough. The TRD Off Road has a progressive coil so the more you compress it or preload it the spring rate takes off. The TRD Sport and SR5's come with linear coils that would ride a little better when pre-loaded. Lift the truck with taller springs, it'll be a much better ride in the end.

Also, I don't know if you'll get an alignment out of the TSB. They won't be touching the front suspension so I'm not sure if they'll align it for you or not (I'm not familiar with the new TSB). Just a heads up, you might want to ask the dealer that's performing the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Depends on what you want. 884's have a lower spring rate so they'd be a bit softer. 884's are 588 #/in and Eibachs are 620 #/in (for reference, stock is 540). Eibach's are very 'planted' on the road. They don't allow the truck to roll in corners and don't dive when breaking. The 5100's do a good job dampening the Eibach's so you don't feel like you're riding on a hay wagon (for those that have never been near a farm and don't get the reference, hay wagons don't have suspension). I have never riden in a truck with 884's but I love the ride with Eibach's. FWIW, I drive mostly on pavement.
Thanks for the info / advice, kinda what I was thinking. I will be ordering Eibach springs with the 5100's. The cool thing is I move things up down the road without too much trouble.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
SPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant future

Air Force: HQ AMC Port Dawg
Name: Jason
SPENCAF's Tacoma Gallery
So if I go with the Eibachs and 5100's set at 0 will I need a 1.5" AAL for the ass end or is that only if you set them at .85"?