Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon travel?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Icon travel?

Does anyone know how much travel the Icon coil overs for 05+ have? Im eather going to get the Fox 2.5 RR or the Icons. But today I was on Fox's sight and the 2.5 RR they have said they only have 4.63" of travel...? Is that right? The piggy back shocks they offer for the back have 10". Why would the back have 10" of travel and the front coilovers only have 4.63"???? If the Icons have more I am deffinatly getting the Icons.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Does anyone know how much travel the Icon coil overs for 05+ have? Im eather going to get the Fox 2.5 RR or the Icons. But today I was on Fox's sight and the 2.5 RR they have said they only have 4.63" of travel...? Is that right? The piggy back shocks they offer for the back have 10". Why would the back have 10" of travel and the front coilovers only have 4.63"???? If the Icons have more I am deffinatly getting the Icons.
Icons are the same. (Actually closer to 4.5"). Factory is just under 4". The front has about 8" of total travel, and since the shocks/springs are mounted halfway between the spindle and the A arm mounts, shock travel only needs to be half of total travel at the tire. For the rear, the shock is mounted closer to the tire than the "pivot point" of the rear suspension. Since the rear has 10 or 11" of travel, 10" travel shocks are correct.

Longer travel shocks are not going to do any good unless you replace the UCA's as the limiting factor becomes your Upper Ball Joint.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
So your saying before I get any sort of Coilovers, I need to get a new UCA first? Oh, I was going to blow my wad on the coilovers then in a bit get the UCAs. Now the only question is TC or Icon UCAs. I hate the fact that the TC UCAs uniball is totaly open and unprotected. But is the little dust cap on the Icons really worth another $500.00? IDK.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to get the UCA's right off the bat. They do allow for more wheels travel though.

You should also look into camburgs new UCA's. Those things are stout.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
So your saying before I get any sort of Coilovers, I need to get a new UCA first? Oh, I was going to blow my wad on the coilovers then in a bit get the UCAs. Now the only question is TC or Icon UCAs. I hate the fact that the TC UCAs uniball is totaly open and unprotected. But is the little dust cap on the Icons really worth another $500.00? IDK.
You can wait on the UCA's. The open Uniball isnt an issue. I have fully submerged mine in mud, water, dirt, and had some wet concrete on them for a few weeks and they are fine. No squeaks or anything.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Airickf is on a distinguished road
Airickf's Tacoma Gallery
Which Coil over setup would yield the most travel (with UCAs)?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airickf View Post
Which Coil over setup would yield the most travel (with UCAs)?
You would need an "Extended" coilover. I belive that Camburg offers one, and I know that Icon has one.