1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob ~ needs new shocks on 98 Taco SR5 2wd

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LAWLESS23, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    LAWLESS23

LAWLESS23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2wd
    Stock
    Newbie here - thanks in advance for the replies. I have searched this forum but haven't had any luck with answers to my question so here goes it...

I have a stock 98 SR5 Xtra cab Tacoma 2wd that needs better ride quality. Since I've owned it, I have not replaced any of the suspension items. Can any of you recommend what I should buy to improve my ride quality? Links would be helpful and/or where to buy. Also, if you know of any threads on how-to-install that would be helpful too.

I'm looking to buy another Toyota soon (prob a Tundra) so look for me to stick around on here for years to come! Thanks

Lawless

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    LAWLESS23

LAWLESS23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2wd
    Stock
  3. Aug 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    search 5100 in the search function.

bilstein 5100s will increase your ride quality.

you can buy them from Down South motorsports

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    wanderingwayne

wanderingwayne Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4, 3.58 gears, 30" tires, man. hub
    I have a 4x4 but..........

I just put KYB Gas-a-just shocks on mine. I drive mostly on the asphalt. Back roads, some gravel and logging roads. They made a big difference but the old ones were so wore out that anything would of made a big difference. The three most noticeable things are; coming out from a stop sign going to my left or right the truck doesn't dip down/roll as it used to; when going down the county road by my house (which is rutted and patched and really bad) the truck runs in a straight line no matter what it hits. Before it wanted to dodge off left or right on multiple bumps and there was to much side sway, shake, whatever. No side sway now. Much, much better. The third thing is I can "feel" the road better. I don't know how to put that any better.

As for stiffness, when I hit a dip to the right and a dip to the left directly following each other I think the truck would handle it better with a little more stiffness, but when hitting something like a bad bridge abutment it levels that out just right.

I guess all things are a compromise. If I was doing some heavy duty off road anymore I might want stiffer shocks, but I haven't tried these out off road and probably won't.

Overall I think they are great but the old ones where so bad that anything is better.

The ones I took off could possible be the originals. That would mean they would have over 200,000 miles on them. They are Toyota shocks. The shocks are badly worn out but 3 of the 4 still have bushings that aren't completely wore out. They are rusted and corroded where the bushings are touching the shocks but still holding there own. The right rear bushings are still in place and doing something but about done. Unbelievable. Toyota shocks must have some great bushing, or did in '97 if they are actually that old.

I bought them from the Tire Rack. I read reviews and opinions on-line and it seemed to me that the Tire Rack has good prices and good customer service. A few other places had a lot of complaints about service and treatment of the customers. I ordered Mon. morning and received them Wed afternoon. Can't beat that. Probably that's quicker than normal.

Products Discussed in

To Top