Notices

Lowering 6" lift?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
owen06 will become famous soon enough
Army: 1-187th INF REGT
owen06's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering 6" lift?

I know I might get stoned for this....

But I have a 09 4dw with a 6" Fabtech performance lift. It is great, don't get me wrong, but I was wondering if it is possible to lower the lift a little, 2-3 inches, with adjusting the front coilovers and switching out the rear block to a different one?

Is that possible with the different cross member, or bigger spindles, etc?

I have 35s and would switch to 33s.

Also gearing. I re-geared for 35s, so would going to 33s screw that up?

I know there are a million reasons why this may not be possible.

Ok, start throwing.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Might just have to buy a 3" kit and replace all the 6" parts. At least then you'd have them to sell as a package to somebody else. I'm not really familiar with the lift you have installed now, so somebody correct me if I'm talking out of my ass.
The gearing would be a little short after changing tires, so your RPM would be higher when cruising.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of1raptor has much to be proud of

1raptor's Tacoma Gallery
Isnt the cross member cut out for a 6" lift? and if that is the case then a stock cross member would have to be welded back in. sounds like a killer to me right there.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
so you are 4x4?
He put 4dw but I think he meant 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1raptor View Post
Isnt the cross member cut out for a 6" lift? and if that is the case then a stock cross member would have to be welded back in. sounds like a killer to me right there.
It is possible but you can avoid issues by simply not going with a 6 inch lift.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
owen06 will become famous soon enough
Army: 1-187th INF REGT
owen06's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I think welding back in the cross member is not an option.
Fabtech wrote back to me saying it is not possible.

Oh well, i was just wondering. I have a lot of time on my hands.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I welded my crossmember back in when I got rid of my 6"

You can see it in my build

edit: here it was halfway finished http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2937884
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yup. Some have welded it back in. You can get it from Toyota or pull if off of a junk yard truck.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yup. Some have welded it back in. You can get it from Toyota or pull if off of a junk yard truck.
The toyota I went to said they dont sell that part since its not a bolt on and is part of the frame
Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
The toyota I went to said they dont sell that part since its not a bolt on and is part of the frame
Oh. How did you get it then? JY?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I tried for aabout months asking the 4WP and ORW places to save me the piece they cut when they get a 4WD truck rolling through with that lift but had no luck. I ended up cutting and plating the crossmember back in. A JY could work too, but I think it would be easier to build your own