Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front Bumpstop loose. What tool to tighten it?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Front Bumpstop loose. What tool to tighten it?

So I discovered my driver's side bump stop was loose. Hanging about 1/2" or so lower than it should be.

I'm able to sneak an 18MM wrench on the nut above it and have it brace against the metal structure around it. I hand tightened the bumpstop until my neck made a weird noise. But now it's still just hanging there rattling around about 3/8" left to go.

I tried a plumbers wrench, didn't work. Largest set of channel locks I had could only grasp the rubber. I tried tightening it with those but the rubber started to stress a bit and don't want to tear it up. It looks like a huge socket could fit on there but it's bigger than the 2" one I had sooo...

Any ideas how to tighten it up?

PS. I did soak the bolt and nut with some WD-40, I didn't have an PB Baster or the like at the time.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I used really big channel locks to grab the metal above the rubber. You may need to get some bigger channel locks.

Unfortunatly if you bottomed out on the bump stops while they were loose it may have bent the stud.

I highly recommend the Wheelers Super bumps (even for stock trucks). Look at this video.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
Well I probably bent the stud I think because I definitely flexed that tire out completely on a stump. I'll probably just order the wheeler's...