1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Bumpstop loose. What tool to tighten it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Oscarbob, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    Oscarbob

Oscarbob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB 4X4 OR, Pyrite Mica
    WeatherTec floormats and rainguards, Scanguage, LR UCA, 265/75/16 Duractrac's
    So I discovered my driver's side bump stop was loose. Hanging about 1/2" or so lower than it should be.

I'm able to sneak an 18MM wrench on the nut above it and have it brace against the metal structure around it. I hand tightened the bumpstop until my neck made a weird noise. But now it's still just hanging there rattling around about 3/8" left to go.

I tried a plumbers wrench, didn't work. Largest set of channel locks I had could only grasp the rubber. I tried tightening it with those but the rubber started to stress a bit and don't want to tear it up. It looks like a huge socket could fit on there but it's bigger than the 2" one I had sooo...

Any ideas how to tighten it up?

PS. I did soak the bolt and nut with some WD-40, I didn't have an PB Baster or the like at the time.

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I used really big channel locks to grab the metal above the rubber. You may need to get some bigger channel locks.

Unfortunatly if you bottomed out on the bump stops while they were loose it may have bent the stud.

I highly recommend the Wheelers Super bumps (even for stock trucks). Look at this video.

3. Aug 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Oscarbob

Oscarbob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB 4X4 OR, Pyrite Mica
    WeatherTec floormats and rainguards, Scanguage, LR UCA, 265/75/16 Duractrac's
    Well I probably bent the stud I think because I definitely flexed that tire out completely on a stump. I'll probably just order the wheeler's...

Products Discussed in

To Top