Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Thinking of getting 5100's

Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of getting 5100's

My question is this, if I get the 5100 shocks and set them to say 1.75" does that allow me to go with bigger tires? If so what size wheel and tire combo should I go with. I really don't want a lift or even huge tires but I keep seeing Tacoma's around with a slight lift and what looks to be 18's and they look awesome. Anyway anyone with experience or advise in this matter please let me know. If there is a better way i.e. maybe a 3" lift kit let me know what you recommend. Keep in mind it's a daily driver and I really am not the guy who wants parts binding and causing excessive wear. Thanks. Jay
Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
you can fit a 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 without any lift and it would look good with the 5100's set at 1.75". if you set them at 0.85" you would have a slight rake to the truck.

if you go with larger (say 275/70/17 or 285/70/17) then you would need to do some trimming or set the 5100's at 2.5" (and at 2.5" you may still have to do some trimming).

if you go with a tire wider than 265, then you need to use a spacer or a rim with a 0 offset and a 4.5" backspace
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
josh3972000 is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st airborne Division (3/502)  25th Infantry Division (1/27)
josh3972000's Tacoma Gallery
Get a set of 265 75 16 remove the flaps, and take a look at it, you will be suprised on how much better that it looks, I currently dont have the billies but from what I read 1.75 setting levels everthing up. I wouldnt run anything bigger than a 265 unless you want to hack up a new truck.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 will fit best, even with a little lift in the front, without doing any trimming and such. now, if you wanna go with some 18 inch wheels, you can, but the tire size needs to be roughly equal to what the 265/75/16 ends up being as far as 18's are concerned.

what kinda wheels you looking for bro??
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advise everyone.

I dunno what the hell I am going to get Will. I will probly end up staying with the 16's and same tire size with the 5100's. I have never been much on lifts or even had much of a need for them just want to change the stance a little. I have been looking at the TRD FJ wheel and the Ivan Stewarts. If not them I will pick up a pair of Motto Metals or XD serries. What do you think will look good? The other question I have for ya is I have a Line X guy out here and so I want to spray the fender flares, rear bumper, front bumper and steps but should I do it in black or stay with the silver?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Thanks for the advise everyone.

I dunno what the hell I am going to get Will. I will probly end up staying with the 16's and same tire size with the 5100's. I have never been much on lifts or even had much of a need for them just want to change the stance a little. I have been looking at the TRD FJ wheel and the Ivan Stewarts. If not them I will pick up a pair of Motto Metals or XD serries. What do you think will look good? The other question I have for ya is I have a Line X guy out here and so I want to spray the fender flares, rear bumper, front bumper and steps but should I do it in black or stay with the silver?
hey man, my vote would be for a set of black moto's or american racing's in black.......would look sweet bro. and for the line x...........you know how i am about silver with black accessories, but honestly....either would look great man, and be very durable. well........i reckon im voting for black line-x on everything!! also, if you still have your emblems....black them out along with your grille emblem!!