Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

installing bilstein 5100s

Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3
Name: Josh
07NavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
installing bilstein 5100s

I'd like to do my own work to my tacoma. how do i adjust the 5100s and how difficult are they to install? might it be out of my league?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
I'd like to do my own work to my tacoma. how do i adjust the 5100s and how difficult are they to install? might it be out of my league?
How comfortable are you using a spring compressor?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
How comfortable are you using a spring compressor?
x2, and do you own the require tools for the job? Air tools make it a lot quicker and easier but not necessarily required. You should have the proper sized sockets, a breaker bar, torque wrench, jack and stands. If your bolts are rusted on, a good amount of PB Blaster and possibly a torch might be required to break the bolts loose.

If you aren't comfortable with a spring compressor, you could probably have a local shop assemble the struts for you fairly cheap.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
X3 that's why I just paid a shop $70 to install them for me
Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine myself but I'm comfortable using a spring compressor and have done so a dozen times or so.

If you have not used one or been around one bedford I suggest you take the advice of those saying you should bring it to a shop to have them assembled.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2, and do you own the require tools for the job? Air tools make it a lot quicker and easier but not necessarily required. You should have the proper sized sockets, a breaker bar, torque wrench, jack and stands. If your bolts are rusted on, a good amount of PB Blaster and possibly a torch might be required to break the bolts loose.

If you aren't comfortable with a spring compressor, you could probably have a local shop assemble the struts for you fairly cheap.

X4

This gives you an idea of what you are looking at even though it's a spacer style lift:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mtrdsport.html
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
feltsphoto is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Mike
feltsphoto's Tacoma Gallery
How's about AAL's? How much work/knowledge is it to do that?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Getting the assemblies off and on the truck is easy.

Compressing the coil and R&Ring the shock into the coils requires a compressor. You can kill yourself doing this incorrectly. So that may be a factor in your thought process.

You can remove the assemblies yourself, take them to a shop to do the coil work with the proper compressor, the reinstall them on the truck yourself.

Of course, it will need an alignment if you put the 5100s on any setting above zero.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...g-removal.html
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by feltsphoto View Post
How's about AAL's? How much work/knowledge is it to do that?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...econd-gen.html
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed07NavyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok. i'm in the navy and we have a shop right down the road where i can rent a bay and they have all the tools and guys there to help with such things. maybe i can tackle it this weekend. how about adjusting them...how do you do that? i'm not understanding how it works. is there a thread here i can read?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07NavyTaco View Post
ok. i'm in the navy and we have a shop right down the road where i can rent a bay and they have all the tools and guys there to help with such things. maybe i can tackle it this weekend. how about adjusting them...how do you do that? i'm not understanding how it works. is there a thread here i can read?

when you get the shock, on the body of the shock, there will be a clip that goes around the body of it. it comes set on the lowest setting closest to where the eye bolt goes. thats zero. it has lines above it where the clip can click into above it for higher settings. you'll understand it more when you see it.

read my take on the install.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ps-advice.html
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Bolt79 is on a distinguished road

Bolt79's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine today and it wasn't that bad. I rented a strut spring compressor from local auto parts store and it worked fine. The only problem I had was once I placed the 5100's on my truck and put the three top bolts in, the bottom bolt hole wasn't lined up and I couldn't get it to turn. However, I found that if I loosened the top center bolt, then I could turn the bottom part of the shock (but it was still very tight) and align the bottom bolt hole. I hope this is normal, because I experienced this problem on both sides of my truck.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #13

i've had the shocks since last christmas. i thought i could afford the install and new tires and allignment but that ended up being more than i planned. i still want to wait til i can afford tires but i'm tired of having a stock truck. i need to wrench on it a little.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly what you said, go to the auto hobby shop on base and use their lift. I guarantee they'll have a spring compressor as well....ours does....and the guys that work their will show you how to use it, and it's free. It's industrial shop style, so safe, and extremely easy to use. Air tools a-plenty, all you pay for is the bay. I'm planning on tackling the front 5100's and extended brake lines in a morning. Never done it before, but doesn't seem to be rocket science, and I'm mechanically inclined. I'll get it aligned, then do the rear leaf pack and the rear 5100's and brakes lines another day. Then I'll put the Spindles on another day, that's my personal plan, spread the $$ out.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt79 View Post
I did mine today and it wasn't that bad. I rented a strut spring compressor from local auto parts store and it worked fine. The only problem I had was once I placed the 5100's on my truck and put the three top bolts in, the bottom bolt hole wasn't lined up and I couldn't get it to turn. However, I found that if I loosened the top center bolt, then I could turn the bottom part of the shock (but it was still very tight) and align the bottom bolt hole. I hope this is normal, because I experienced this problem on both sides of my truck.
Yeah, it is very important to correctly align the bottom of the shock so that the bolt hole aligns in the LCA mounting bracket. You must to this in orientation with the three top mounting bolts. Refer to the FSM diagrams in Chris4x4's writeups in the links I provided above. That is the easiest way to understand it.

If this is off by only a little, you will have a terrible time getting the shock and lower bolt into the LCA.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
Exactly what you said, go to the auto hobby shop on base and use their lift. I guarantee they'll have a spring compressor as well....ours does....and the guys that work their will show you how to use it, and it's free. It's industrial shop style, so safe, and extremely easy to use. Air tools a-plenty, all you pay for is the bay. I'm planning on tackling the front 5100's and extended brake lines in a morning. Never done it before, but doesn't seem to be rocket science, and I'm mechanically inclined. I'll get it aligned, then do the rear leaf pack and the rear 5100's and brakes lines another day. Then I'll put the Spindles on another day, that's my personal plan, spread the $$ out.
i had a jeep cherokee when i was stationed in maine and i put a 3.5" RE superflex lift on it at the hobby shop. i'm pretty sure i can tackle this. it may take me a little longer than most but i should be able to do it in a day. already looking at add-a-leafs for the rear and then the expensive part...tires.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
michael11993 is on a distinguished road
michael11993's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do the same thing to my Taco, but i just want to level mine with the bilstein 5100's. How much lift can i get out of just installing them in the front and would that cause any problems?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11993 View Post
I want to do the same thing to my Taco, but i just want to level mine with the bilstein 5100's. How much lift can i get out of just installing them in the front and would that cause any problems?
I believe the 2nd gen 5100s go up to 2.5 inches.

Have you read this yet? It may answer many questiosn for you. Good stuff:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #19
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Before you remove the spring/shock from the truck look at where the top three bolts are in comparison to the bottom of the shock mounting bolt is. When you assemble the shock in the spring make sure the bolts align. If you set the 5100 on the mid or upper setting you will need to pry the lower control arm down to fit the spring/shock in. If necessary you may have to loosen the bottom ball joint. You may have to take off the anti sway bar for that side also. If you go to www.readylift.com there are instructions on removing and installing the spring/shock assembly. Just put in your truck year and there is a PDF file for you to print out. Using the spring compressor is not hard just be careful and think about what you are doing. It can be very dangerous. I suggest you get a chilton or Haynes manual for your vehicle as it shows how to pull the spring and replace the shock.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
michael11993 is on a distinguished road
michael11993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I believe the 2nd gen 5100s go up to 2.5 inches.

Have you read this yet? It may answer many questiosn for you. Good stuff:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html
Thank you! Yea really good stuff!