Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

how to adjust Bilstein 5100 shock during install

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
how to adjust Bilstein 5100 shock during install

For anyone looking for how to adjust the shocks during install, here is a picture of some instructions that came in the box when I ordered mine. I dont know if this is from the manufacturer or what, but its very helpful.

I know for me, I wasnt really able to fully grasp what everythign looked like when people said "put it on .85". I tried to search for pictures of the shocks but no luck. Hopefully this will help clear up any confusion and wipe away an apprehension you may have about undertaking the install of these shocks. So get out there, jack that truck up and but these bad boys on !!

5100 adjustment by PackFan88, on Flickr

If anyoen needs a copy of this emailed to them to read the fine print, just shoot me a pm and i will send it via my generic email account.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
SuperTaco01 is on a distinguished road

Name: SuperTaco
SuperTaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the info
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt get the install instructions with my order, glad I found this.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
sub for installing mine this weekend
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
quick question. if on toytecs site, they say that 3" is achieved with coils and not to exceed the second settingbfrom bottom (.85"). why does it say that the top setting is 2.5". and what does it mean damage can occur if you exceed the second from the .85" setting. why even have it if we cant utilize it? please help.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN View Post
quick question. if on toytecs site, they say that 3" is achieved with coils and not to exceed the second settingbfrom bottom (.85"). why does it say that the top setting is 2.5". and what does it mean damage can occur if you exceed the second from the .85" setting. why even have it if we cant utilize it? please help.
You can have the shocks higher than the .85. Some people have them at 2.5 all around its just a harder and rougher ride. Also if you offroad youll put much more strain on your shocks.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

nice. so if i put it on the 2.5, will it go well with my 2" aal that came with the bilstein 5100 kit? or would i need something additional. i just find it odd that toytec states not to exceed the .85 setting. makes me kinda fear messing around with the adjustment LOL.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
TRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to beholdTRD2006 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
TRD2006's Tacoma Gallery
The 2.5 lift is intended for stock springs if I'm not mistaking, I have the 5100 and set them on 2.5 with stock springs... The 0.85 level is used for other coils besides stock, example ome springs. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #11

i understand now. my kit came with the eibach springs. the eibachs springs by themself are rated for how much lift? thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
^1.5-1.75" with the Eibachs
Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Beat em
mattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygaff's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a specific tool that should be used to move the circlip?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygaff View Post
I just used some needle nose pliers to adjust the clip.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
RNGRCaldera is on a distinguished road

Army: Army Ranger
RNGRCaldera's Tacoma Gallery
I am confused, So if I want to achieve a 3" lift with my bilsteins and eibach springs I have to put them on the .85?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #16
THE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to all

Name: Ryan
THE SCHIRMINATOR's Tacoma Gallery
^yes
Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
zombietaco05 is on a distinguished road
zombietaco05's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100

Hi guys
Need a little help here, Im new on this lifting trucks world and I dont want to mess everything up
I have the 5100's and Im planning to set them to the max height which i think it'll give me very close to 3" The tires I will use are BF's 295/75/16 and I was wondering if I can use a 1" 1/2 preload spacer also so it can reach around 3.5 - 4". would that be possible?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
CraigMo is on a distinguished road
CraigMo's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed
Old 06-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
kochx34 is on a distinguished road
kochx34's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking the exact same thing? I have the billstien 5100 lift in my truck and it is set at max hieght, but i wanna go another 1" or so to give myself the extra room for 33x12.5/15 tires
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN View Post
For 2nd gens you can bump the clip a notch with aftermarket coils, any higher with after market coils you'll be out of spec for alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygaff View Post
hahaha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
I just used some needle nose pliers to adjust the clip.
hahaha ... Cmon guys... all you have to do is put the end of your ...say , index finger on the end of the clip, gently pry back a bit & start the clip in the next groove, I promise you wont break a nail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGRCaldera View Post
I am confused, So if I want to achieve a 3" lift with my bilsteins and eibach springs I have to put them on the .85?
Your 1st gen right ?? No confusion necessary, the Eibachs alone provide 3" & you def. dont want to preload those, so leave the clip on the bottom groove (this is stock height) make sure the spring perch isn't upside down (should look like a bell) set your coils on & compress the coil just enough to get the stem thru the top hat just enough to get the center nut on & started.... & make sure your bushings are as followsmetal washer/grommet/grommet/metal washer/center nut/done now go play

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochx34 View Post
Im thinking the exact same thing? I have the billstien 5100 lift in my truck and it is set at max hieght, but i wanna go another 1" or so to give myself the extra room for 33x12.5/15 tires
Are you on stock coils ?? If so 2.5" is all your going to get, if you want 3" get xome coils...

Also. 3" IS THE MAX for stock UCA's any higher & your out of specs