Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icons up front,, what about the back?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
Icons up front,, what about the back?

im getting Icons for the front of my truck.. i was thinking about the icon ad a leaf, with icon rear shocks.. Is there anyother type of shock or leaf you'd recommend.. I do ALOT of beach driving. Will the Icon add a leaf fit a TSB spring? I have a 2010 DCLB.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Icons are good. You can also go with some fox shocks or king shocks out back. I have sywa-aways on my tacoma.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
KINGSSS FTW!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Good spring kits would be deavers or alcan. All pro makes a good leaf spring kit as well.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Icon 2.5 rears with Deavers, Alcan or Allpro springs. Alcan or Allpro expedition if you carry loads. Deavers or regular Allpros if you don't.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the advice guys.. trying to see what my budget is going to be.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I hear Deavers are too soft...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Shocks have a minimal effect on ride quality overall...leaf springs are much more important.

The best solution is probably inexpensive Bilstein shocks coupled with a quality leaf pack designed for your type of usage.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
i overheat bilsteins frequently (oem ones)..to the point where you cant touch them.. I like the idea of more fluid in the icons...just trying to justify their cost.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
if you do get icons... only get the new 2.5 shocks... the ones in the pic above

the 2.0 resi shocks are crap. old donahoe tech... which were basically rebaged edelbrock shocks
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
stephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
stephen11ty7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
if you do get icons... only get the new 2.5 shocks... the ones in the pic above

the 2.0 resi shocks are crap. old donahoe tech... which were basically rebaged edelbrock shocks
Icon is making a 2.0 vs series remote resi for our trucks i heard, though
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen11ty7 View Post
Icon is making a 2.0 vs series remote resi for our trucks i heard, though
i'm talking about the 2.0's you can buy right now. those suck

Icon's new 2.0 shock will be an entirely new shock and i'm sure it will be light years ahead of the current 2.0's they offer
Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
i overheat bilsteins frequently (oem ones)..to the point where you can touch them.. I like the idea of more fluid in the icons...just trying to justify their cost.
The hottest I have gotten the Icons (so far), is about 125*, after beating the truck to the point I thought the fernders were going to fall off. That was in 105* ambient temps.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
i'm talking about the 2.0's you can buy right now. those suck

Icon's new 2.0 shock will be an entirely new shock and i'm sure it will be light years ahead of the current 2.0's they offer
supposibly the shipped the new 2.0's already. i had the old edelbrock icons on my fj and i constantly blew seals. seems like th new ones have the rubber hose and not a stainless hose going to the resi.
Chris i had the icons on my FJ.. these where great on the beach..esp with the progressive springs.. they really shined when i hit 30 on the beach
Im going to talk to icon just to make sure. I would much rather spend around 500 for the 2.0's rather then 800+ for the 2.5 (which seem like overkill)
basically i was looking to get there Stage 2 Kit.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
These are the ones I bought and they are Plush!!! very sweet ride on and off the road.

They have the rubber tube over stainless to Resi it seems.
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/s...voir-Shock-Kit
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
still on the fence between the new 2.0's and 5100s
would 5100's be an 'ok" upgrade with an icon add a leaf?
lastly will the icon add a leaf work with TSB springs?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
still on the fence between the new 2.0's and 5100s
would 5100's be an 'ok" upgrade with an icon add a leaf?
lastly will the icon add a leaf work with TSB springs?
The 5100's will not match the valving of the Icons, and will ride funny. Different dampening between the front and rear....Something to consider......If your concerned about heating up the shocks, it seems the rears heat up quicker (the piston travels further than the one in the front CO's). The 2.5 rear resi's stayed within 2* of the front 2.5 CO's when I tested them. The smaller 2.0 rear may get a little hotter, more quickly.....but it all depends on your driving style, and how anal you are about silly details like shock temps being equal all around
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a ton of experience in off-roading but I know a full set of Icons are amazing. I had a TJ that I put a 2" lift with stock shocks and drove 5 mph in rough roads bouncing around wondering how others were able to go faster. Searched around and got some OME shocks and wow, I was able to keep up with my buddies now. Then we get the Tacoma, and I'm impressed by the ride if it stock compared to the Jeep. After a ton of research and saving, we get the Icons. Like Chris has stated and fixed, the initial bump is a bit harsh but after that it's smooth. It's pretty cool to keep up with and pass atv's and side by sides on the trails. Honestly I get a bit nervous riding with ny wife! I still find my self grabbing the "oh shit" handle and bracing for the impact that doesn't happen. The truck is a hoot to drive on and off the road.