Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Concern over rear suspension sag

Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Concern over rear suspension sag

Just bought this truck a couple of weeks ago and am a quick learner, but pretty ignorant to Tacoma suspension honestly.

My DCLB has the non-TSB rear leafs (err. leaves?). I noticed today that the leafs/leaves/"the right leaf and the other one too" are sagging pretty badly even with no weight in the bed.

I have to tow about 3800 lbs (race car and 16' trailer) 800 miles in just a few weeks and I'm worried about the sag and the fact that it seems that the truck bottoms out on moderate bumps right now. The ride isn't great now.

What's the most cost effective way to solve this, keeping ride quality in mind? Not too worried about lifting the truck. More concerned with ride quality.

Thanks guys.

-Trent
Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
get a custom alcan/deaver pack that will handle the weight w/o the lift....add air bags to the rear for when towing.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard great things about air bags. Firestone airbags arn't too expensive and offer a great solution.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Trent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I need to provide more info.

I don't really tow that often to be honest. I'm towing this car to an event in Florida on a borrowed trailer. I usually just drive it to local events. So I'm not really wanting to equip my truck with towing as its primary focus. My understanding is that air bags are typically used for those who do a lot of towing. Am I wrong on that? Honest question.

My truck is a daily driver, and I put some serious miles on it as a pavement pounder. Also, I never go off-road.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well yes and no. Air bags can be deflated when not in use to provide a completely stock ride. Inflate with a few PSI and you are set to tow. IMO they sound like the best solution for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
True, but that wouldn't address the crap ride the rest of the time. Do replacement rear leaf packs generally make the ride better or worse? Or am I way off track? Lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

Replacement leafs are going to make it rougher. They have the sole purpose of stiffening up the rear springs.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, checked out the firestone bags. Not a bad idea. I like that they more or less get out of the way when you dont need them. Is onboard air a necessity? What about the rear shocks? Stock ones okay?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

I am 99% sure stock shocks works. You don't have to have on board air, just a way to fill them when you want them to work. I think they only take a few PSI (>25) so a bike pump would probably do the job fine.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
How does the truck sit stance wise? Is it higher in the back than the front? Or level?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Looks fairly level. Maybe a bit higher in the rear. Its completely stock.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
Did some more research. You guys set me down the right road. Thanks.

Ordered the firestone air bags yesterday.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Trent's Tacoma Gallery
The install wasn't too bad. The directions could have been a little clearer. Mounted the air valves in the storage compartment on the driver's side.

Overall, the ride is about the same. So I cant complain. Didn't think to measure ride height before, but it does seem a little higher in the rear now even with about 10 psi in the bags.