1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help removing upper ball joints

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by brs127s, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    brs127s

brs127s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    Hey guys, I've ran into a roadblock trying to install my LR UCAs on my 04 D-Cab. I can't get the upper ball joints out. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can't get the ball joint press lined up to push it out. I need to get the ball joints out anybody have any suggestions? I would have searched the forum, but I am in the middle of trying to do this and am at my wit's end. Please help!

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Note to follow on posters - this is a first gen we're talking about.

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I was just looking into this very issue earlier tonight...I think my upper ball joints are shot and need to get replaced (don't want to do UCA's right now, just the ball joints)

It was suggested by another member to try heating up the UCA around the joint to make it easier to get them out. Just don't over heat the metal.

Please report back as to your progress...I would like to know what I have to look forward to in the near future :cool:

EDIT - I'm assuming your current set up is stock? Not sure if it makes a difference, just thought I'd clarify that.

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Why isn't your press lining up? They should just press right out, after you remove the c-clip of course

5. Sep 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    Well, the press is one where it has 3 different sized of collars that the joint will go through when you push it out. The middle sized collar is the best fit. When I set it on the base that sits on the C clamp, the base sticks out far enough that it doesn't allow the whole assembly to line up straight from top to bottom. I had a piece of 2 inch flat and 2 inch angle steel that was 1/8 inch thick. I used that for a base instead of the one that came with the press. I was able to get it lined up better, but cranked hard enough it started bending each piece I tried. I thought about heating the spindle up, but was afraid it might hurt the metal. I am at my wits end and ready to call it a night. I soaked both ball joints with some Seafoam Deep Creep. Maybe that will help break them loose. My only other thought would be to take the spindle completely off and take it to a shop and have them press it out. I really don't want to do this as it is my last resort. I might try heating up the spindle around the ball joint in the morning.

This really sucks, as this is the only thing I have left to do other than setting the truck down and tightening everything up.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that these are the stock ball joints. They have never been changed, so I guess that is why they are being such a bear.

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    Update....I have decided to pull both spindles off and take them to a shop to have the ball joints pressed. out. Anybody know the size of the nut on the end of the axle shaft? What is the best way to get the tie rod off? I have everything else loose and ready to come off. Will there be surprises when I remove the axle from the spindle...like any seals or anything that needs replacing?

I think while I have the spindles off, I will go ahead and have the lower ball joints replaced too. That way everything will be new and tight for the alignment.

7. Sep 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It should be a 32mm IIRC. I think an 1 3/8" works as well.

You mean UCA correct? Heating them up a little isn't going to hurt them.

8. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:59 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    I should have known that when the UCAs and coilovers went in too easy, there would still be something that would cause me a headache. I did go ahead and remove the spindles. The hardest part was removing the halfshaft nuts. They are torqued to 174 ft-lbs and I had to use a pipe wrench to hold the axles. One side broke loose with an impact, but I had to use a cheater bar and t-handle on the other. Then it was just removing the tie rods and lower ball joints. I had to take the spindles to the dealer to get the old upper ball joints pressed out. The machine shop where my buddy works couldn't fit the spindle assembly in their press, because the ball joint is too close to the side of the spindle. I got my spindles back from the Toyota dealer late yesterday afternoon. I replaced the lower ball joints and just need to set the whole assembly back on the truck.

MTgirl--I would plan on removing the spindles and taking them somewhere to have the upper ball joints removed. Mine were the originals and had been in there for 7 years. There was no way I could have gotten them out with a hand ball joint press. The dealer said it took some work to get them pressed out. I also had them put the inserts for the LR UCAs in, and they said they went in like butter once the old ball joints finally popped out.

9. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:46 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    Truck is all put back together and getting aligned tomorrow. I drove it around about 15 to 20 miles to settle the suspension and take measurements. It raised it about an inch and a half over my current suspension with the leveling spacers.

Here were my before measurements:

Driver..........Passenger
    21".............21 9/16" (from center of hub to bottom of fender)
    36".............36 1/2" (from ground to bottom of fender)

Here are my after measurements:
    22 15/16"....23 5/16
    37 1/2".......37 15/16

Do those numbers seem about right? The leveling spacers were 1" inch spacers and should have provided 2 inches of lift. I realize that means that the coilovers lifted the truck 3 1/2 inches, but with the spacers, I reused the stock TRD springs, so there is no telling how much sag they had compared to when they were new. I kept the diff drop on from the spacer lift, and my CV angles look pretty good. With the spacer lift, they were pretty much horizontal. With the coilovers, they angle slightly downward out to the wheel, which is what I would expect.

Products Discussed in

To Top