Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Are the parts necessary?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Lane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the rough
Lane Cypert's Tacoma Gallery
Are the parts necessary?

I am planning on getting the Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5 and wondered what else I needed to do in the front. I have heard I need new CV's and Upper Control Arms to minimize the stress. I was checking to see who has replaced them and who is just running the 5100's alone. I am also wondering the cost of replacing them as well. I don't want to spend the extra cash if it's not needed but I want to get everything done correctly at the same time.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane Cypert View Post
I am planning on getting the Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5 and wondered what else I needed to do in the front. I have heard I need new CV's and Upper Control Arms to minimize the stress. I was checking to see who has replaced them and who is just running the 5100's alone. I am also wondering the cost of replacing them as well. I don't want to spend the extra cash if it's not needed but I want to get everything done correctly at the same time.
I actually have the same question except that I only plan to run at 1.75. I had a sports car that I put lowering springs in and if I made it a month before needing a bunch of new parts to straighten everything out, I'd be surprised. As for the Taco, I'm hoping to have the Billys by Christmas but if I need other parts like UCA's or a diff drop, I'll just wait until tax season. In the long run, I hope to be running a 3" lift by Tax season 2010.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
im running the 5100's set at 2.5" no issues im running stock tire too 265-70-16 and will eventually change the uca's out
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
UCAs aren't required, but recommended. They will correct some alignment issues you will have. Also, if you are planning to run 285s on the stock rims, you'll need them because your tires will rub them.

I put a 3" ToyTec coilover lift with bilstein 5100s and replaced my UCAs with Total Chaos. I'm running 285s on stock rims and I still get some rubbing on the UCAs at full articulation when backing up. Probably going to have to get some small spacers or something.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
im running the 5100's set at 2.5" no issues im running stock tire too 265-70-16 and will eventually change the uca's out
How often do you get an alignment because of your set up? Any different than normal driving?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I only get an allignment when im done off roading i drive like i stole my shit