Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV Joint angle

Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
that looks fine to me...especially since you dont wheel
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
+1. Mine look like that and have 10k miles on them.. and I wheel.

im pretty sure mine are at a worse angle...and i wheel and havent busted one yet
Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
evening bump...
off topic, but what size bfg mt's did u end up going w/?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i wouldnt worry too much about it honestly jason...as long as you dont go wheel on it and lock the wheels at full turn and put a lot of pressure on the cv you should be ok
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the fins on the CV boots are not touching, you should be fine. I cant tell in the pic if they are or not.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I'm just a little extra nervous since I was the one that installed the lift myself rather than a "qualified" mechanic...

dont worry...im right there with ya
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Also, the instructions I was sent from ToyTec told me to set the 5100s on the second setting (.85) then adjust the coilover to 1" of thread below the adjusting nut. This would give me 3". I did this and I got 4.25". I adjusted down 1/2" yesterday and the lift only went down 3/4".

I called ToyTec today and they said that those instructions aren't right - that the strut should be set at stock. I also rechecked the instructions I have and it says the "second slot from the bottom". I'm going to scan it and send it to Doug (at ToyTec) tomorrow just so he knows I'm not lieing...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if I do blow a CV joint, how much would it cost to fix? Someone said "it's a $12 part but tons of labor" however, they didn't define the tons of labor part. Or is it something hard to do yourself?

Just trying to be prepared.........
its a decent amount of labor...however...i've changed a couple on other trucks in the middle of a trail...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think your ok. BUT, if you are on a trail, it never a bad hing to carry a spare complete front shaft. Easy repair.

Why would an alignment need to be done if the CV is replaced?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think your ok. BUT, if you are on a trail, it never a bad hing to carry a spare complete front shaft. Easy repair.

Why would an alignment need to be done if the CV is replaced?
hes prob talking about the alignment of the splines when putting the cv in
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
hes prob talking about the alignment of the splines when putting the cv in
Thanks, Copper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
just messing actually. I was just commenting on the fact that its hard to do on the trail. But in reality if Jason doesn't wheel, its pretty much a moot point.
True!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Splines? CVs? Huh??? Do you need a screwdriver for that?

hammers work best

that is a cv...at the bottom left are the splines...they line up and thats what transfers the "spin" to the axle to transfer it to the wheel