Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

spacer geometry question

Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
blackpearl is on a distinguished road
Air Force: logistics
blackpearl's Tacoma Gallery
spacer geometry question

My truck started out as a show truck on the dealership floor where they threw a bunch of glitter and nice things like rims tires and a lift. It didn’t sell so they traded it to a dealership near me, I showed up the day it got in and had no problem taking it off their hands. Doing my research ive discovered it has 1” blocks in the rear but I’m unfamiliar with the lift the front spacers are giving me. I measured 2”s but somewhere on here I read that spacer lifts lift the truck double the size of the spacer. Due to thermal dynamics or Einstein’s principal of theory… maybe something to do with flux compacters…

Can someone explain this to me so I know what I need to run my tires with. “285/75-18 toyo open country M/Ts”
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna need to do ALOT of cutting to fit 285/75/18's
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
it depends on if the spacer sits on top of the assembly or on top of the coils. 3" on top of the assembly=3" of lift. 1.5" above the coils=3" of lift...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
it depends on if the spacer sits on top of the assembly or on top of the coils. 3" on top of the assembly=3" of lift. 1.5" above the coils=3" of lift...
It doesn't matter where the spacer sits......

The physics is at the lower control arm where the coilover is attached. If the coilover strut was mounted at the very END (outter edge) of the control arm, you'd get 1 for 1 (1/2" block = 1/2" lift).

But since the coilover strut is mounted at the halfway point (approx) inward on the lower control arm, you get about 1 for 2 (1/2" block = 1" lift).
Old 10-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
up early janster
Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Work at 8am....

What about you? Gotta get my fix before another long day.
do you use rt 80 i thought i saw a truck like yours
iam at work here at 6am to open up we start at 7am
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
do you use rt 80 i thought i saw a truck like yours
iam at work here at 6am to open up we start at 7am
That must have been someone else - I use Rte 30. You don't travel up in PA do you?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #9

thought it was you i on each day work in denville live in landing
ex 28 rt 80 Have a good day time to go work may see ya tonight
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
blackpearl is on a distinguished road
Air Force: logistics
blackpearl's Tacoma Gallery
so 2" spacer between coil and assembly equals 4" of lift? im trying to figure this out because im getting my TSB spings in today and im addicted to having a level truck.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

The physics is at the lower control arm where the coilover is attached. If the coilover strut was mounted at the very END (outter edge) of the control arm, you'd get 1 for 1 (1/2" block = 1/2" lift).

But since the coilover strut is mounted at the halfway point (approx) inward on the lower control arm, you get about 1 for 2 (1/2" block = 1" lift).
then how come my 1.25" spacer above the coils for 2.5" of lift, but my 3" spacer above the entire assembly onlt got me 3" of lift?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is what I thought true until I read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
then how come my 1.25" spacer above the coils for 2.5" of lift, but my 3" spacer above the entire assembly onlt got me 3" of lift?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Measure again.....
there's nothing to measure again....the 2.5" lift was on the 07 and the 3" is on the 09. but thats exactly the way it was/is b/c i wondered this before and measured the spacer on the 07. the 09 is just a solid brick of 3" thick aluminum.