Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen 3" suspension lift question?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
98Tacomav6 will become famous soon enough98Tacomav6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Cody
98Tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen 3" suspension lift question?

I have a 98 xtra cab 4x4 and i'm wanting to save up for a 3" suspension lift. I've read the FAQ sticky on lifts and looked around a bit and I want something that will be smooth daily driven but also good off road too. Money isn't really an issue as I'm saving for it anyways.

Im thinking a coilover lift kit will be the best way to go because i'm quite inexperienced and I don't want to miss out on parts I may need by buying things seperate.

Is there a complete 3" coilover kit that will inclue everything needed for the whole lift like, coilovers, UCA's and Leaf packs etc? or are there different parts I'll need to pick up with a coilover kit?

I'm new and learning but I thought i'd throw this question out to see if anyone can help me out? Also with a 3" suspension lift, whats the best tire/rim size to run?

Thanks all!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
This question has been slaughtered on this board and every other Toyota board.

Tons of manufacturers make kits (Toytec, OME, etc...) and there is no certain set of wheels/tires that work best given that they are not really related to the lift.

I am an OME fan myself, and you can get their products just about anywhere - the kits usually run around $800 (depending on the what options you get). I had an OME lift on my '99 4Runner and '85 4Runner and they both rode better than they ever did from the factory.

If I ever lift my current Tacoma, I will go with OME.

Good luck!

Fink
Old 09-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I havent seen any kits that include UCA's or rear leaf packs- usually people get them separately, depending on what they want/cost. With each of these options, there's tons of variety, and it all depends on how much you're willing to spend in the end.

And as far as tire sizes, like Fink said, there's no one size carved in stone. With 3" lifts, it depends on weather or not you're willing to do some cutting on the truck.
Personally, I run 265/75r16 KM2's with 16x8 wheels and have no problems rubbing even when wheeling.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I havent seen any kits that include UCA's or rear leaf packs- usually people get them separately, depending on what they want/cost. With each of these options, there's tons of variety, and it all depends on how much you're willing to spend in the end.
Good point - the UCA's are not generally included.

Complete rear leaf packs are optional, and will obviously add some additional cost (OME packs generally run around $450-$500).

Fink
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
98Tacomav6 will become famous soon enough98Tacomav6 will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. Very informative. I hate to repeat a slaughtered question. I'll just do more research myself next time.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Eibach springs - $150 + Bilstein 5100's - $170

Set the struts at 0" and the springs themselves will give 3".
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. Many times, new members just need to get used to navigating the site, so theres always hundreds of repeat threads posted.

Whichever way you decide to go with the lift, make sure you take a lot of pictures and post them the site!....So that I can get jelly that I helped you and you ended up with a better setup than me.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
Eibach springs - $150 + Bilstein 5100's - $170

Set the struts at 0" and the springs themselves will give 3".
Thanks man, nice build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
No problem. Many times, new members just need to get used to navigating the site, so theres always hundreds of repeat threads posted.

Whichever way you decide to go with the lift, make sure you take a lot of pictures and post them the site!....So that I can get jelly that I helped you and you ended up with a better setup than me.

Haha, will do!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Reel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really nice

Name: Gary
Reel Tuff's Tacoma Gallery
I emailed wheelers about a 3" lift yesterday, his response was IVD tacoma coilover set, Bilstein rear shock set, and wheelers mp3 aal set 1400. I think I want uca's and a leaf set, prolly another 1100. Any thoughts on this ift would be appreciated. Seems like a lot of posters ask about 3" lift, maybe a group buy?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Tuff View Post
I emailed wheelers about a 3" lift yesterday, his response was IVD tacoma coilover set, Bilstein rear shock set, and wheelers mp3 aal set 1400. I think I want uca's and a leaf set, prolly another 1100. Any thoughts on this ift would be appreciated. Seems like a lot of posters ask about 3" lift, maybe a group buy?

Fink
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Reel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really niceReel Tuff is just really nice

Name: Gary
Reel Tuff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
I was talking to the op about a lift/ group buy. sorry, my bad!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:

Haha, no prob man! I'm not ready to get my parts yet, and i'm still thinking about what i want/need
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I always feel the need to use that smiley any chance I get - it's one of my faves.

Fink
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
in my opinion the best lift/bang for your buck would be....

for the front- bilstein 5100s with eibach coils set at 0. will give 3 inches of lift. (like rpain said)

and in the rear i would get bilstein 5125s and either a 3 leaf progressive add a leaf (better ride but more expensive) or just a single toytec Add A leaf