Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DIY LCA Bushing Replacement 2005+ Tacoma (4x4)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #41
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Has anyone tried to get grease zerks fitted onto the stock LCAs like the TC UCAs?

Not that I know of. It would be easy to do.....just need to find the right bushings that have channels for the grease, swap them in, and tap in a zerk. Pretty sure they are out there somewhere....I'm just not into mic'ing parts and doing the trial and error thing (I have no patience for R&D)......LOL
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #42
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to probably do this soon and was reading up on the service manual.
I'm trying to understand this; do these things need to be "clocked"? If so, how and why?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #43
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
I'm looking to probably do this soon and was reading up on the service manual.
I'm trying to understand this; do these things need to be "clocked"? If so, how and why?

I don't get it. Round bushing goes into round hole and your done. I don't see where it says it must be clocked. There is nothing to clock. Silly Toyota and there service bulletins. Sounds like bullshit to me
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #44
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I think the diagram improperly shows degrees when they really mean to imply depth.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #45
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just un seized 3 of 4 LCA bushings. My front passenger is being a little bitch, so I'm subbing your thread for just in case soaking it in Kroil for another week don't work. I cleaned and anti seized the other 3, but if I have to replace one, I might as well do em all. Is there any other source out there for the LCA bushings? I've looked at energy suspension, http://energysuspension.com/assets/f...on-catalog.pdf , on page 71, part# 8.3128, but it is for 07-09 FJ, and 03-09 4Runners, not sure if it would fit Tacoma or not.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #46
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I think the diagram improperly shows degrees when they really mean to imply depth.
Upon closer examination, they do in fact have two nubs that require timing per the diagram.

I don't appear to have bushing separation; but when I pick at the rubber with a fingernail it crumbles. Plus I have the "clack".
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #47
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I don't get it. Round bushing goes into round hole and your done. I don't see where it says it must be clocked. There is nothing to clock. Silly Toyota and there service bulletins. Sounds like bullshit to me
I saw those nubs too late, they were already pressed in. I don't think it matters though. Mine aren't clocked like the diagram but I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of LCA's with bushings at home , you guys want pics , I can do that if it would help
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm wondering if the lca hole is oblong.
The hole the bushings mount into ?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The hole the bushings mount into ?
Scratch that; just thinking out loud.
Doing some research; seems if it has timing marks, the construction and/or durometer of the material will be slightly different in the direction of said marks, to accommodate the direction of stress.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I just un seized 3 of 4 LCA bushings. My front passenger is being a little bitch, so I'm subbing your thread for just in case soaking it in Kroil for another week don't work. I cleaned and anti seized the other 3, but if I have to replace one, I might as well do em all. Is there any other source out there for the LCA bushings? I've looked at energy suspension, http://energysuspension.com/assets/f...on-catalog.pdf , on page 71, part# 8.3128, but it is for 07-09 FJ, and 03-09 4Runners, not sure if it would fit Tacoma or not.
Just call them up. I'm 99.9% sure they have them in stock - just not in their literature.

Pretty sure I have the OD of the bushing shown in a pic in here. If not I can post one or a hundred. Worst case length can easily be cut to size on a band saw or similar.

Quote:
Upon closer examination, they do in fact have two nubs that require timing per the diagram.

I don't appear to have bushing separation; but when I pick at the rubber with a fingernail it crumbles. Plus I have the "clack".
Now I remember those cut outs. When I did mine Toyota was replacing the entire LCA. There was no service write up for the bushings or ball joints at least none I could find. Pretty sure I remember looking up LCA bushings and ball joints and the write up said "replace with new LCA" for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I saw those nubs too late, they were already pressed in. I don't think it matters though. Mine aren't clocked like the diagram but I'm not worried about it.
X2... mine may be clocked right

but only by chance if they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have a set of LCA's with bushings at home , you guys want pics , I can do that if it would help
I got an album worth of them monstrosities of poor engineering

Quote:
I'm wondering if the lca hole is oblong.
My LCA mount holes are

every last one of them.

Quote:
Scratch that; just thinking out loud.
Doing some research; seems if it has timing marks, the construction and/or durometer of the material will be slightly different in the direction of said marks, to accommodate the direction of stress.
Nope. Same material, but displaced. Screw the "index" tabs. Look at the rubber itself.

Rear: The lateral play portion is solid and the vertical is hollow.
Front: opposite of rear

Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #53
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Which part number is for the front most bushing does anyone know?

Is it

48655-04020 or 48654-04040?

My front one is seized on the passenger side.

Poor truck

Ill look back I know I got it somewhere. Ill also edit op to state it
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Think I found it. Looks like 48654-04040 is the front most one. Gonna order one of these bishes up tonight along with 4840960020 which is the cam adjuster

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/sh...driveLine=6162

Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
it was in the OP of the bushing thread. I just threw it in this OP as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #56
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. Ordered up a bushing and a new cam adjuster. Hopefully I won't need the bushing and I can mash out the cam adjuster using a hammer or cut it out then press it out once the LCA is off the truck

Have fun trying to save it

I cut mine out in minutes

Id swap out the bushing if it's already rusted out.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Did you drill and tap the LCA for zerks? (thats what it looked like to me anyway) If not, anyway, would this work/ would the zerks fit? Finally is this a good/bad idea?
LCA's are already a failure zone. not sure if drilling a hole would be a good idea

+ the wall is very thin + were is the grease going to go? need a grooved bushing for that.

if you wanted to add zerks I would reinforce the bushing seat and install aftermarket poly bushings with grease grooves
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #59
Ding Dang Dee
mjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjm540ii is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
mjm540ii's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks fellas, thats what i was wondering, it would prob just weaken it. Not a bad idea to take it out and clean them/replace them every so often. DYOB made it look easy, although it prolly takes quite a while. Was it a biatch swapping em out? or not so bad?

Products Discussed in this Thread