Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DIY LCA Bushing Replacement 2005+ Tacoma (4x4)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Thanks fellas, thats what i was wondering, it would prob just weaken it. Not a bad idea to take it out and clean them/replace them every so often. DYOB made it look easy, although it prolly takes quite a while. Was it a biatch swapping em out? or not so bad?
first time was a pita. after that the other 3 got easy. with the lca and tools in front of you it should take no more then a hour per side for removal and replacement of both lca bushings following these steps. less time for the next side.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #62
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Well all the writeups look easy cuz you can read them in 2 minutes . If I added up the total time I spent on mine probably 3 hours just because I had no idea really what I was doing and didn't want to screw anything up.

It was a little nerve racking with a sawzall and angle grinder that close to the frame
3 hours isn't bad at all... I bet I had double that and I had help. We had a hell of a time getting the bushings out of the LCA. We torched out the rubber center as our extraction method of choice. I also have 3 years of rust on you though...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #63
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
he just called your MA truck a pos
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #65
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried the Moog bushings yet?
I think I want to go with these.

http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.a...cat=Suspension

I'll probably have to special-order them; I'm not seeing much online. My only concern is the price; $12-13 per bushing doesn't seem right.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #66
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbolt View Post
Has anyone tried the Moog bushings yet?
I think I want to go with these.

http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.a...cat=Suspension

I'll probably have to special-order them; I'm not seeing much online. My only concern is the price; $12-13 per bushing doesn't seem right.
They would probably be the same as the toyota bushing. I've found the rear lca bushings on rockauto, but the only other place I've seen the fronts were on the O'reilly site.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #67
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
These look very nice.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W53312-White...51fcac&vxp=mtr
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #68
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the writeup! Got me all fixed up. I'll bring back those ball joint adapters this week Dyob

The seizure

Extraction mission

In with the new

Will be checking mine this weekend
I had an alignment last year and the place never mentioned anything about the lower cams being seized... then again i've got a year of flharton goodness in there now
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Boyd & Ant, you guys used the Toyota bushings??
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #70
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If they never touch them they won't know they're seized lol. My firestone douche never touched mine last time since they were "in spec" for the VIN # truck.

Yes, OEM toyota bushing. As long as the sleeve stays lubricated the OEM bushings aren't too bad
thank you sir
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #71
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
Boyd & Ant, you guys used the Toyota bushings??
Yes only because when I did mine I couldn't find any sleeved poly bushings. Screw oe rubber. The ones I just linked look muuych better
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #72
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes only because when I did mine I couldn't find any sleeved poly bushings. Screw oe rubber. The ones I just linked look muuych better
I'm searching for the MOOG's, local NAPA's have one but not the other. Might try those from eBay..
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #73
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
he just called your MA truck a pos

Quote:
If old =POS then yes I did
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #74
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
I'm searching for the MOOG's, local NAPA's have one but not the other. Might try those from eBay..
Poly > rubber
Do it....be the guinea pig

You can get them cheaper than fleebay.

Also they have washers vs flanges and that would seem superior
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #75
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light

splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Energy Suspension sells them too; but I thought they will not work?
http://www.w.energysuspensionparts.c...p?prod=W53312#

Says it will fit:
Lexus GX460 2009-2010
Lexus GX470 2003-2009
Toyota 4Runner 4WD 2003-2012
Toyota FJ Cruiser 2WD 2007-2012
Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD 2007-2012
Toyota Landcruiser Prado 2004-2009

Toyota part #s aren't the same...

Toyota part # 2007 FJ Cruiser:
48654-60030 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.1 LH
48654-60030 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.1 RH
48655-60030 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.2 LH
48655-60030 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.2 RH
48632-60020 BUSH, FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER ARM, LH
48632-60020 BUSH, FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER ARM, RH

Toyota part # 2007 Tacoma 4wd/Prerunner:
48654-04040 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.1 LH
48654-04040 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.1 RH
48655-04020 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.2 LH
48655-04020 BUSH, FRONT LOWER ARM, NO.2 RH
48632-04020 BUSH, FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER ARM, LH
48632-04020 BUSH, FRONT SUSPENSION UPPER ARM, RH
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #76
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Don't you have to hollow out and reuse the old sleeve with them?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #77
RIP Corporal Cirillo , Lest We Forget
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't you have to hollow out and reuse the old sleeve with them?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...054A_45574.pdf
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #78
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm540ii View Post
Did you drill and tap the LCA for zerks? (thats what it looked like to me anyway) If not, anyway, would this work/ would the zerks fit? Finally is this a good/bad idea?
Quote:
I didn't. I don't think it will do anything personally. The area between the bushing seat and the LCA is not what seizes, that gets pressed in and then you pound it out with the punch afterwards. The part that seizes is the inner part of the bushing where the cam sleeve rides, so there's really no way to put a zerk in that lubricates that part. I plan on just pulling that sleeve assembly out every year and cleaning and re-lubricating it.
I think you're right.
Quote:
LCA's are already a failure zone. not sure if drilling a hole would be a good idea

+ the wall is very thin + were is the grease going to go? need a grooved bushing for that.

if you wanted to add zerks I would reinforce the bushing seat and install aftermarket poly bushings with grease grooves
A zerk could be added by drilling a small hole and welding a nut over it for a mounting point, but as was said, I don't think there's any point to doing that. Any idea why there's an OEM hole in the bottom of the shell? Drain hole?

Do any of the linked bushing sets have grease grooves? Anything that'll help hold more grease in that assembly can't hurt.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #79
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd Rep'd, damned fine thread.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #80

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Sub'd Rep'd, damned fine thread.
Damn shitty assembly prompted damn fine thread

Products Discussed in this Thread