Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DIY LCA Bushing Replacement 2005+ Tacoma (4x4)

Reply
 
Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #121
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
mattmxracer's Avatar
Name: matt
Joined: Jan 2011, #49327
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,344
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for later
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #122
Senior Member
mo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud ofmo13 has much to be proud of
Navy: AD2
Name: Marc
Joined: Jul 2011, #60800
Location: lexington park,md
Gender: Male
Posts: 379
mo13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Should spin freely
Thanks for all the help man.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #123
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Drunknsloth's Avatar
Name: Retribution
Joined: Jun 2010, #39105
Location: South West
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,196
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
I seem to be having the same problem as most of the people above. Now I know this is a common problem, especially since I live in Utah and they salt the roads like none other.

So a while back I took it to Firestone to have an alignment, they told me I had a camber bolt that was seized but the alignment wasn't too bad so I could just get the bolt replaced on my next alignment. So this time before I took it in for an alignment I checked all the bolts because I wanted to make sure for myself that one of the bolts were in fact seized. All of them turned fine so I took it to Firestone again and told them I fixed it so it should be fine this time. After the alignment they told me the bolt was still seized so I told them to just leave it. This time I removed both the plate/nut and the bolt shown in the picture below from XXXX



I tried moving the sleeve on my front passenger side and I couldn't (I didn't have a 26mm socket so I tried hammering it from the back to see if I could get it to slide forward but I couldn't.)

Now the interesting part:
I removed the bolt and plate/nut while the truck was on jack stands. I then lowered the truck without the bolt and plate in the camber assembly and as I predicted the camber sleeve turned with the LCA as I could see from the plate attached to the sleeve.
I then lifted the truck again, but the bolt and plate back in and torqued it down to 100lbs and dropped the truck. This time the camber sleeve did not turn with the LCA.

Now I'm not sure if the sleeve or the bushing was the one turning when I did not have the bolt and plate on but I still find it interesting that Firestone couldn't align it. I'm planning on getting a 26mm socket and trying to turn it with that but I want to know what you guys think. I've been really busy lately and I don't want to spend the time to do all that again if there's no point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #124
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Drunknsloth's Avatar
Name: Retribution
Joined: Jun 2010, #39105
Location: South West
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,196
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Replace the bushing and cam assembly
I was afraid of that answer... I just found it interesting that the assembly can be turned against the LCA when the bolts are torqued down but can only turn with the LCA when the bolts are freed... I guess I'm off to find a cutoff wheel and attempting the http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-press.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #125
XXXX [OP] XXXX is offline
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,047
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedT View Post
Those whiteline ones say they will fit both the fj and tacoma. Im not sure whats up with the difference. I cam really close to trying those poly bushings
someone buy them and try them already dam it

everyones getting those crappy ones you have to butcher your old ones why the heck is no one trying the whiting? Buy them - if they don't fit return them. SOoooooooooooooooooo much easier and better than reusing rusted POS liners IMO. Mine were rusted to pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I was afraid of that answer... I just found it interesting that the assembly can be turned against the LCA when the bolts are torqued down but can only turn with the LCA when the bolts are freed... I guess I'm off to find a cutoff wheel and attempting the http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-press.html

How did that press work out for you? I had a real press and couldn't get them out.

My cutting method only take 5-10 minutes. No way would all thread of saved me if my press was bending.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #126
Senior Member
splitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of lightsplitbolt is a glorious beacon of light
 
splitbolt's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2010, #32761
Location: Ozarks
Gender: Male
Posts: 190
splitbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
someone buy them and try them already dam it

everyones getting those crappy ones you have to butcher your old ones why the heck is no one trying the whiting? Buy them - if they don't fit return them. SOoooooooooooooooooo much easier and better than reusing rusted POS liners IMO. Mine were rusted to pieces.




How did that press work out for you? I had a real press and couldn't get them out.

My cutting method only take 5-10 minutes. No way would all thread of saved me if my press was bending.
Mine couldn't wait any longer and I can't afford to have my truck tore apart for 2 weeks because Whitelines may or may not fit.
If it was a sure thing, I would have went with poly.

Supposedly, Energy Suspension is working on it.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ion-parts.html

I did notice, they now have steering rack and frame/body mount bushings.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...Prerunner+2007
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #127
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Drunknsloth's Avatar
Name: Retribution
Joined: Jun 2010, #39105
Location: South West
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,196
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
someone buy them and try them already dam it

everyones getting those crappy ones you have to butcher your old ones why the heck is no one trying the whiting? Buy them - if they don't fit return them. SOoooooooooooooooooo much easier and better than reusing rusted POS liners IMO. Mine were rusted to pieces.




How did that press work out for you? I had a real press and couldn't get them out.

My cutting method only take 5-10 minutes. No way would all thread of saved me if my press was bending.
I haven't tried it yet... I've been too busy with work and school... I'm currently driving with my steering wheel tilted slightly left when I'm going strait but my tires are already pretty bald so I'm not worrying about it

I might call whiteline one of these days and see what they say...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #128
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,941
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I seem to be having the same problem as most of the people above. Now I know this is a common problem, especially since I live in Utah and they salt the roads like none other.

So a while back I took it to Firestone to have an alignment, they told me I had a camber bolt that was seized but the alignment wasn't too bad so I could just get the bolt replaced on my next alignment. So this time before I took it in for an alignment I checked all the bolts because I wanted to make sure for myself that one of the bolts were in fact seized. All of them turned fine so I took it to Firestone again and told them I fixed it so it should be fine this time. After the alignment they told me the bolt was still seized so I told them to just leave it. This time I removed both the plate/nut and the bolt shown in the picture below from XXXX



I tried moving the sleeve on my front passenger side and I couldn't (I didn't have a 26mm socket so I tried hammering it from the back to see if I could get it to slide forward but I couldn't.)

Now the interesting part:
I removed the bolt and plate/nut while the truck was on jack stands. I then lowered the truck without the bolt and plate in the camber assembly and as I predicted the camber sleeve turned with the LCA as I could see from the plate attached to the sleeve.
I then lifted the truck again, but the bolt and plate back in and torqued it down to 100lbs and dropped the truck. This time the camber sleeve did not turn with the LCA.

Now I'm not sure if the sleeve or the bushing was the one turning when I did not have the bolt and plate on but I still find it interesting that Firestone couldn't align it. I'm planning on getting a 26mm socket and trying to turn it with that but I want to know what you guys think. I've been really busy lately and I don't want to spend the time to do all that again if there's no point.
If you can pull nut, bolt and that sleeved bolt out completely, it's obviously not seized and there's no reason Firestone shouldn't have been able to align the truck. Mine were seized, I couldn't pull the bolts out from within the bushing, it was all a rusted together mess.

As far as what's spinning, with the bolt out and nothing tightened, the bushing should stay with the LCA and spin within the LCA tabs. Once you put the bolt in and tighten it down, the inner bushing sleeve should stay with the bolt (and truck frame) and the outter bushing sleeve should move with the LCA, forcing the rubber to 'twist' as the suspension cycles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #129
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Drunknsloth's Avatar
Name: Retribution
Joined: Jun 2010, #39105
Location: South West
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,196
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you can pull nut, bolt and that sleeved bolt out completely, it's obviously not seized and there's no reason Firestone shouldn't have been able to align the truck. Mine were seized, I couldn't pull the bolts out from within the bushing, it was all a rusted together mess.

As far as what's spinning, with the bolt out and nothing tightened, the bushing should stay with the LCA and spin within the LCA tabs. Once you put the bolt in and tighten it down, the inner bushing sleeve should stay with the bolt (and truck frame) and the outter bushing sleeve should move with the LCA, forcing the rubber to 'twist' as the suspension cycles.
I follow your logic. In fact that was exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to get a 26mm socket and see if I can turn it myself. But when I had it apart last time I tried to hammer the sleeve out of the bushing and it didn't budge. I actually ruined the end of it a bit and almost couldn't put the plate/nut back on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #130
Senior Member
PATACO13 is on a distinguished road
 
PATACO13's Avatar
Name: Ian
Joined: Aug 2012, #84335
Location: Erie, PA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
PATACO13's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question on old thread. I've installed 5100's in the front and prior to getting an alignment, my shop warned me about the tendency of cam bolts to seize in LCA bushings. After plenty of research on TW, I've been soaking with PB Blaster for a week or so.

My question is: If they are seized up, will the cam tabs be bent? Or rather, can the cam bolts be seized up without bending the tabs? My tabs are all perfectly straight. I know this thread is for 2nd Gen but I drive an 03.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #131
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brutalguyracing's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2009, #19000
Location: F.U> GUYZ
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,052
brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATACO13 View Post
Quick question on old thread. I've installed 5100's in the front and prior to getting an alignment, my shop warned me about the tendency of cam bolts to seize in LCA bushings. After plenty of research on TW, I've been soaking with PB Blaster for a week or so.

My question is: If they are seized up, will the cam tabs be bent? Or rather, can the cam bolts be seized up without bending the tabs? My tabs are all perfectly straight. I know this thread is for 2nd Gen but I drive an 03.

Thanks
tab can bend but not always
go outside mark the cams position
and take a 19mm socket and wrench and take apart
if not seized grease them before they do....
i dont understand why everyone does not do this when they get the truck or before getting an alingment.....
just had mine apart..after greasing them the year before
and even after irean and sandy and all the beach driving and such they still work smooth as silk
good luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #133
Senior Member
PATACO13 is on a distinguished road
 
PATACO13's Avatar
Name: Ian
Joined: Aug 2012, #84335
Location: Erie, PA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
PATACO13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
tab can bend but not always
go outside mark the cams position
and take a 19mm socket and wrench and take apart
if not seized grease them before they do....
i dont understand why everyone does not do this when they get the truck or before getting an alingment.....
just had mine apart..after greasing them the year before
and even after irean and sandy and all the beach driving and such they still work smooth as silk
good luck
thank you. first i'd heard of this issue when the owner of the alignment shop told me that 9/10 tacomas are seized. they're a specialty shop in business since 1919 so I trust them. but I just picked this truck up a month ago, my second Tacoma. i'll get under there and check it out. do I need to jack up the LCA before doing so?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #134
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brutalguyracing's Avatar
Joined: Jun 2009, #19000
Location: F.U> GUYZ
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,052
brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATACO13 View Post
thank you. first i'd heard of this issue when the owner of the alignment shop told me that 9/10 tacomas are seized. they're a specialty shop in business since 1919 so I trust them. but I just picked this truck up a month ago, my second Tacoma. i'll get under there and check it out. do I need to jack up the LCA before doing so?
you could jack it up but not needed...do one at a time.......
mark the cams and take apart....
if i remember right the front have the bolt and sleeve and the rears have only the bolt...
i cant remember tho maybe some will chime in as to that
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #135
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,774
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATACO13 View Post
My question is: [...] can the cam bolts be seized up without bending the tabs? My tabs are all perfectly straight.
Yes, quite easily.

I'll be surprised if your truck's 10 year old bushings & cams aren't fused together. Maybe you'll be lucky and the last owner recently rebuilt the LCAs. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #136
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,941
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
you could jack it up but not needed...do one at a time.......
mark the cams and take apart....
if i remember right the front have the bolt and sleeve and the rears have only the bolt...
i cant remember tho maybe some will chime in as to that
I believe that is correct. The fronts are the weird sleeve and the rear is just a bolt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #137
Senior Member
PATACO13 is on a distinguished road
 
PATACO13's Avatar
Name: Ian
Joined: Aug 2012, #84335
Location: Erie, PA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
PATACO13's Tacoma Gallery
cool thank you! I was able to pull the bolt from either side in front and rotate the cams. appears that previous owner did replace them, they are by far much shinier than any other piece of hardware on the truck haha. they weren't greased though so I smothered them with red n tacky. sorry no pics. I didn't get into the rears because I don't feel like messing with steering gear boots and tie rods. but the fronts being that free put my mind at ease and i'll report back after I get it aligned. thanks again
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #138
XXXX [OP] XXXX is offline
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
XXXX's Avatar
Name: sKiP
Joined: Sep 2011, #62715
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,047
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #139
Senior Member
PATACO13 is on a distinguished road
 
PATACO13's Avatar
Name: Ian
Joined: Aug 2012, #84335
Location: Erie, PA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 103
PATACO13's Tacoma Gallery
I got lucky...all four cams were free inside the bushing and rides much straighter after alignment
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #140
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,774
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Products Discussed in this Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY LCA Ball Joint Replacement 2005+ Tacoma XXXX Suspension 48 07-07-2014 01:30 PM
'Redneck" lower control arm - LCA Bushing Press TacoBow 2nd Gen. Tacomas 65 12-16-2013 08:26 PM
LCA Bushing Question PMK 2nd Gen. Tacomas 1 08-30-2011 02:56 AM
Upper control arm bushing replacement 4x4 gofas 1st Gen. Tacomas 6 04-27-2011 05:20 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.