1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camburg ball joint UCA's WTF?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 68vert, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    68vert

68vert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    so I finally saved up enough cash and decided to go with Camburg BJ UCA's after missing out on a pair of 1" uniballs a member had posted. I've been a victim of many bad lifts in my day, so I did a lot of research and decided to go with Camburg due to their extensive history and diverse product offering.

I got my UCA's from Camburg and ordered my Moog K80811 BJ's. took em to a engine machine shop and had them press in the ball joints. The guy said they were really tight and asked if I had the right ball joints. After reassuring him that is the correct part and to apply more pressure, it took nearly 10 tons to press them in all the way on both arms. One of the arms was fine, but the other busted through the metal:(

I emailed and called Camburg and am waiting to hear back but was just curious if any members have seen this or experienced difficulty pressing in their ball joints into their Camburg BJ UCA's?

camburg2_2.jpg

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    DAMN!! :eek:

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    TCs are already pressed in. good luck too u

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Curious to why you just didn't go with the uni-balls that burg offers with their UCA's? Unless I am missing something here...

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    thanks! I'm curious what Camburg is gonna say? It would be comforting to know a big player such as Camburg in the OR market will stand by their product.

6. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I do mostly mall crawling and liked the idea low maintenance of the factory replacement ball joint plus a few bucks less. Discretionary income kinda tight these days.

7. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I recently pressed some new Moog BJs into my Camburgs with a standard hand press loaned from an auto store. It was hard (I used a 3' breaker bar) but not any harder than any others I've done.

Either the BJs were wrong or the seat on the UCA was out of spec. hopefully Cburg will replace them.

Also, it helps to heat the UCA (in sun, not torch) and freeze the BJ.

8. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    X2

And put some Anti-Seize on the mating surface of the ball-joint.

Uni-balls are known for making loud squeeking noises. They offer the ball-joint versions as an option for noise free operation.

9. Sep 9, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    Sub'd...... I just put on the same arm and BJ. the exact same thing happened. I have the small pieces at home still. I used anti-seize on the BJ before installation and man it was tight.

10. Sep 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X

Man thats a bummer. Sounds like Camburg needs a design revision on these arms. They working okay for you Elwood?

I emailed 4 days ago and left a voicemail 3 days ago. Called again a couple times and nobody answers. I'm getting the impression customer service is not the highest of priority there.

11. Sep 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    They seem fine and they aligned pretty good. I have 2.3 caster both sides and 0 toe and 0.2 and 0.3 camber. Drives fine on the highway and the ball joint has the clip to hold in in , but with the amount of pressure it took to put them in i think the concern might be getting them out.
    If you look at it from a perspective of is it safe, then i'm not too concerned. Think of it like this, all the BJ has to do is stay there and hold the spindle in position. Does it matter if they went in with difficulty or if the hole was a thousand'th off ? As long as the thing doesn't fall out and if the ball joint was strong enough to survive the install then i think it is OK.

Now if you look at it from a manufacture side i am not that impressed. You would think the quaility would be better. On mine if you look real close i think the little piece of metal that was removed might be from the last bit of weld bead around the rim of the socket meeting the arm. So maybe it was just a bit too much. The BJ went through the socket with the "usual" bit of pressure. I have only done a couple ever but it seemed reasonable untill it got to the end. I used our press from work and did them in the vise on the bench at home. I had to use a cheater bar and it was all i could do to turn the wrench.

We are driving the truck and I'm not worring about it. If they are gonna give me new arms and joints that went together better then great. If any mechanic out there that has done a hundred BJ can say that they have never had an arm be a little off and hard to press a BJ into then i might be more concerned.
    Anybody??????????

12. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Mine were already put together as I bought them from another member, but I really like them! They got pretty squeaky 2 weeks ago and had to grease the 2 bushings and the ball itself. Didn't think I would have to do that but wasn't a big deal! Good luck man, want to find out what happens!

13. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    68vert

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    after almost a week, still no response from my email and voicemail other than "what truck are these arms for".

my email prior asked the following "are these still safe to use as is? will Camburg warranty if there is an issue later"?

this is the kinda stuff that really breaks down my support in american fabrication. isnt this why we pay extra for "made in America"? so we keep jobs here and take pride in our quality and the people that stand behind it?

14. Sep 12, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    get your money back and get the light racing arms and just crack a camber nut to change ball joints

15. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    I've heard Camburg customer service sucks!

16. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    my ucas did the same as the op picture:eek:.

17. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    X2 it happened when I was torquing down the spindle bolt and I wasn't even to the spec yet.

18. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    yea but mine was just pressing the ball joint in :?

19. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    K...maybe I'll get the LR arms instead.

20. Mar 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top