1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mystery KYB Shocks from Amazon

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by marbert, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    marbert

marbert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi. I'm new here. I found this forum while poking around online, looking for information on how to replace the worn out shocks on my '98 Tacoma.

My truck is the base model 2.4L 4cyl with 5spd trans and regular cab. I found these KYB shocks on Amazon (see attached picture) and thought I'd go for it. Not much info, but if they don't fit I can have Amazon pick them up and take them away for a full refund.

What do you all think are my odds of getting usable shocks?

While I have your attention, if these shocks end up not working, can I get some recommendations for shocks that would be a bit of an upgrade from the OEM? The original shocks on my truck have always been terrible...even when I got it and it only had 36K on the odometer. The thing bottoms out on the freeway all the time and has always been a terrible ride. I'd love to get something a little tighter and more stable...not sports car tight, but something that helps the truck ride better.

Thanks.

Amazon KYB Shocks Page.jpg

2. Sep 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I had KYB's on awhile ago...

If you're looking for better shocks, look up Bilstein 5100's from Downsouth Motorsports. Cant go wrong.

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    marbert

marbert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well, I actually got less than I expected...which is tough because I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting four shocks. Sorta. The shipping weight on this listing is only 3.9lbs, which I found odd but thought it might be a typo. Based on the title of the listing, I was expecting a kit with four replacement shocks. The box arrived today and inside was an open box containing a single KYB GR-2 shock with a dent in the side of the upper sleeve.

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Well, its one of those buyer beware moments. You get what you pay for and cutting corners like this is kinda what you should expect. At least you can get your money back.

I second the 5100's from DSM. I have them on a lifted application and they ride better than my stock truck so I can only imagine that they ride amazing at stock height.

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 2:41 AM
    marbert

marbert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah, I never would have even stuck my neck (wallet) out like that without the guarantee I can return them; the listing was too dodgy. Worth a shot, though.

I looked at the 5100s, but they just aren't in my budget right now. I'm going for some Monroe Sensa-Tracs. Should be a considerable improvement over the OEM shocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top