LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Small lift with no UCAs or Diffs Drops

Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Small lift with no UCAs or Diffs Drops

What setting should bilstein 5100s be at for a safe, small lift in the front? Should I get the Eibach coil lift spring or just use the stock springs?

I'll be putting Duratracs (LT265/75R16 BLACK Load Range C ) on there so what rear end lift would you recommend to even her out? I was thinking just a 1.5" or 2" AAL for now and perhaps more 5100s some time in the future if I don't like the ride...
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
What setting should bilstein 5100s be at for a safe, small lift in the front? Should I get the Eibach coil lift spring or just use the stock springs?

Either option would work. Really safe setting for 5100's would be .85 but you can set them to 1.75 without getting new UCA's or a diff drop also. The Eibach coils will give you about 1.6" of lift up front. I'm running Eibach's up front on 5100's set at 0 and did not need new UCA's or a diff drop.

I'll be putting Duratracs (LT265/75R16 BLACK Load Range C ) on there so what rear end lift would you recommend to even her out? I was thinking just a 1.5" or 2" AAL for now and perhaps more 5100s some time in the future if I don't like the ride...

If you want the truck to be level, set the front at 1.75 on stock coils and you'll be level with a TSB rear. Eibach's up front on 5100's at 0 would be close to level with a TSB rear. Adding an AAL would just keep your factory rake.
See above.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
See above.
thanks. only issue is I can't get the TSB rear. I have a US tacoma in Canada. Canada doesn't acknowledge this TSB and going to the states for it since it would be a hassle (most likely 2 trips. first for them to see the vehicle and order parts. second to get work done)

with that in mind (and your input) I'm thinking the Eibach's up front on 5100's at 0 and the 1.5" AAL in the rear would leave me at about 1/2" rake which sounds fine
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks. only issue is I can't get the TSB rear. I have a US tacoma in Canada. Canada doesn't acknowledge this TSB and going to the states for it since it would be a hassle (most likely 2 trips. first for them to see the vehicle and order parts. second to get work done)

with that in mind (and your input) I'm thinking the Eibach's up front on 5100's at 0 and the 1.5" AAL in the rear would leave me at about 1/2" rake which sounds fine
The 1.5" 3-leaf progressive AAL from Wheelers or Icon is a great product. It rides very nice, supports weight well and comes with new U-bolts and centering pins for an easier installation. If you do a 1.5" AAL for the back and either Eibach's or Billies at 1.75 up front, you'll have close to the same rake you have now. Eibachs give 1.6", Billies at 1.75 give 1.75" and the 1.5" AAL for the rear will give you just over 1.5" (they usually give you slightly more than the advertised lift).
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
great info thanks

OK so billys set at 1.75 with stock spring sounds like the way to go. Does I need a spring compressor for this setup?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
great info thanks

OK so billys set at 1.75 with stock spring sounds like the way to go. Does I need a spring compressor for this setup?
Yes, regardless of the setting on the 5100's you will need a spring compressor.

What Brock is referring to is the ride. When you preload the stock coil, they're essentially a much stiffer coil. Preloading using 5100's is a decent, cost effective way to lift (better than top plate spacers) but replacing the coil altogether with a taller lift coil and no preload is a better set-up. All depends on what you're expecting as a final result and what you're willing to 'live with' so to speak.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
dont preload the coils at 3ed setting
eibach coils offer 1.6'' lift
billies set at .85
You will need a diff drop.
My brother did this combo and it works great and alignment was in spec. 2''aal in rear
He still has stock tires
Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to do this project myself (with help from friends). So, to my understanding, a diff drop is out of the question. Unless I can do all the work and take the vehicle into the shop afterwards for the diff drop...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

The diff drop will take you a whole 15 min. Its easy!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would like to do this project myself (with help from friends). So, to my understanding, a diff drop is out of the question. Unless I can do all the work and take the vehicle into the shop afterwards for the diff drop...
A diff drop is simple, it's just a spacer for the front diff. You don't have to do any cutting or anything. Also, if you go with Eibachs or 5100's at the 1.75 setting, you do not need a diff drop. The guy above had 5100's set at .85 and Eibach coils on top of that so he gained close to 2.5" of lift. If you plan to stay below 2" of lift up front, you shouldn't need a diff drop.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

Instructions!!!
http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/st...es/tacdr05.pdf
and the kit itself!
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=89
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
OK so how about this?

front:
5100 set at .85
Eibach coils

rear:
2" AAL

So, if I understand correctly, I can do all this myself with a diff drop and then when I take it in for an alignment they will be able to tell me if I need UCAs or I can choose set my 5100s back down to 0 ?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK so how about this?

front:
5100 set at .85
Eibach coils

rear:
2" AAL

So, if I understand correctly, I can do all this myself with a diff drop and then when I take it in for an alignment they will be able to tell me if I need UCAs or I can choose set my 5100s back down to 0 ?
just remember with eibachs you will still be getting an addition 1.6" of lift.

and a 1.6" lift in the front will make the truck just about completly level.

2.5-3" of lift new UCAs are recommended but not neccasarly needed, an alignment will tell you.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK so how about this?

front:
5100 set at .85
Eibach coils

rear:
2" AAL

I like it, you started out with a small lift, no UCA's and are going to end up at 2.5" and considering UCA's

With the front like that and a 2" AAL in the back, you'll still have some rake. You'll have a lot of rake if you have to put the front back to 0 due to alignment. I'd suggest doing the fronts first, then ordering the parts you need for the rear to get the stance you want. If you want level, I'd look more toward the 1.5" AAL's.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
haha no i'm still not considering UCAs. From the sounds of it the aligment will tell me if I need UCA's, in which case I'll opt for the lower 5100 setting. I guess I have to pay for 2 alignments if I go that route...

Preferable I'd like to get close to 2.5" lift (without UCA danger) in the front and whatever evens it out in the back.

I just bought the 4 pack of 5100s. Now I'm looking at the Eibach coils and AALs; however, I like the advice of not ordering anything for the rear until the front is done.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha no i'm still not considering UCAs. From the sounds of it the aligment will tell me if I need UCA's, in which case I'll opt for the lower 5100 setting. I guess I have to pay for 2 alignments if I go that route...

Preferable I'd like to get close to 2.5" lift (without UCA danger) in the front and whatever evens it out in the back.

I just bought the 4 pack of 5100s. Now I'm looking at the Eibach coils and AALs; however, I like the advice of not ordering anything for the rear until the front is done.
Do you off road? The 5100's are for stock travel and will top out, potentially blowing the shock. For street use or light off roading you'll be fine but if you really like to flex your suspension you might want to consider a taller shock, especially with a 2" AAL.

Here's a viable option for you if you'd like, the 3 leaf AAL is supposed to give you 1.5" of lift and you're supposed to remove the overload AAL. If you leave the AAL in place, you get about 2" of lift since the overload is 1/2" thick. Gives you a little flexibility with the rear height.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
I don't offroad too much. And when I do it's certainly not extreme.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
OK so how about this?

front:
5100 set at .85
Eibach coils

rear:
2" AAL

No uca's needed with this combo. My brothers 07 came out perfect just needs one series bigger tires (265 70 17)
eibach coils
5100 @ .85
2'' rear AAL

I researched this combo for weeks, and had multiple conversations with toytech before buying. My brother wanted a lift and didn't want uca's or problems with vibrations and wanted alignment to be in spec.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I disagree with the 5100's at 0.85 and Eibachs not requiring UCA's. The alignment might be "in spec" so to speak, but not ideal. I have had this set up for a year now, and at first went without the UCA's, and went in for 5 alignments which were all "in spec" but was not happy with the way the truck handled. I finally ponied up $380 for some Light Racing UCA's from Fat Bobs Garage, and now the truck drives amazing...better then stock actually. Also, when I lifted my short box, double cab 4x4 with this set up it was at 2.7" of lift with stock UCA's, and went to 2.9" after I installed the UCA's, and has not settled at all. I say if you want to stay away from UCA's then go with the 5100's at either 1.75, or at 0 with the Eibachs. If you don't mind forking out $380 for the LR UCA's then go wild and get the 5100's/ Eibachs and set them at 0.85...it is a great set up.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #20

I am super picky about this kind of stuff and when i drove my brothers truck it drove perfect. I dont know how much more in spec his truck could be. This is why hewent with with the eibach/5100 setup. The alignment tech we went to knew his stuff and had and excellent rack. I guess we lucked out.

If u r going to buy ucas go with a 3" lift. Imo