Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3 Leaf AAL vs 1 Leaf AAL for 1.5" lift in rear?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
3 Leaf AAL vs 1 Leaf AAL for 1.5" lift in rear?

I've got 2.5 Icon coilovers on the front of my DC TRD OR PreRunner. Rear is stock. Right now the truck is 1.5" higher in the front and I'd like to improve the rear suspension and even it out (get rid of the squat/bro lean).

I'm looking at getting the Fab Tech AAL for $70 which is just one spring per rear wheel, or the Icon 3 leaf AAL for $180. I'll put 5100s along with whichever AAL i choose.

Can i get your advice on whether I really need to spend the extra money for a 3 leaf AAL? Does the 1 leaf improve ride/suspension at all or just provide height? Is most of the suspension in the rear based on your quality of shocks or leaf springs? I'm on a budget so the less I can spend the better, but also want to make sure I make the right decision here.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurboCycles View Post
I've got 2.5 Icon coilovers on the front of my DC TRD OR PreRunner. Rear is stock. Right now the truck is 1.5" higher in the front and I'd like to improve the rear suspension and even it out (get rid of the squat/bro lean).

I'm looking at getting the Fab Tech AAL for $70 which is just one spring per rear wheel, or the Icon 3 leaf AAL for $180. I'll put 5100s along with whichever AAL i choose.

Can i get your advice on whether I really need to spend the extra money for a 3 leaf AAL? Does the 1 leaf improve ride/suspension at all or just provide height? Is most of the suspension in the rear based on your quality of shocks or leaf springs? I'm on a budget so the less I can spend the better, but also want to make sure I make the right decision here.
The 3-leaf AAL rides great! You don't feel like you have an AAL in the rear at all. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking. It does come with new U-bolts and centering pins which is part of the reason why it's more money. In my opinion, it's well worth the money and I'd definitely buy it again.

Also, if you off road your truck, the 5100's aren't necessarily the best option. They're a short shock, check out the thread below about the cautions of using 5100's for a lifted rear. (Personally, I have 5100's and that 3-leaf progressive AAL without any problems but I'm mostly on pavement).
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-5100-a.html
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
CurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of lightCurboCycles is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Curtis
CurboCycles's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga thx for the info and link. the link doesn't seem to answer the q whether or not the longer 5100s are good for a 2" lift. I've thought about the new icon v.s. 2.0 shocks but don't know how well they fit.

Can anyone else weigh in on the benefit of a 3 leaf aal vs 1 leaf? Or how well billys work on a 1.5" lift in the rear?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I love my 3-leaf that I got from Wheelers! It rides great and still add height and helps with weight in the bed.

I think they were $150 from wheelers
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 4 leaf TSB with the Toytec AAL w/ 5100's and I love the ride and wheel the piss out of it and its great.

That being said, I am replacing them with the ALLPRO Expidition leafs and Fox 2.0 shocks for even more clearance, flex, and load capability while offroad.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurboCycles View Post
Pugga thx for the info and link. the link doesn't seem to answer the q whether or not the longer 5100s are good for a 2" lift. I've thought about the new icon v.s. 2.0 shocks but don't know how well they fit.

Can anyone else weigh in on the benefit of a 3 leaf aal vs 1 leaf? Or how well billys work on a 1.5" lift in the rear?
There was a lot of controversy in that thread about whether the 5100's were appropriate for a lifted rear. Technically they can top out and you can blow out the shock. That being said, a lot of people are running 5100's with a lifted rear and not having any issues. I was just trying to give you the link in case you hadn't heard there could be a potential problem. Good luck with the set-up!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
No brainer I have the wheelers 3-leaf AAL get it and don't look back!!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The 3 leaf without the overload will be the smoothest riding aal you can get......best you can do without replacing the whole pack. There's a reason its included in the Icon package. I ran the 5100s and they were fine, I have longer 5125s now for more droop but they will be ok! If you have the budget get the re-buildable icons for the rear. You'll be getting as much travel in the rear as up front 10" or so!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
is there any downside to running the 3 leaf aal without the overload spring?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Can't tow as much weight but I've been able to load the truck up pretty heavy and its been fine! It's more for flex and a smoother offroad ride!