Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1st Gen Bilstein HD vs. Bilstein 5100

Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
1st Gen Bilstein HD vs. Bilstein 5100

I did a search and am not finding the specific info I'm curious about.

I'm trying to find the smoothest shock replacement for my 2001 ext. cab TRD package.

I'm on the fence, I initially wanted the Bilstein HD shocks to replace my dead/dying OE TRD shocks (2001 ext. cab TRD package). I have heard they are softer than the OE TRD ones, and I want this. The original TRD spec'd ones sound too harsh when new.

But searching around, the 5100s are new to me, and sound great, and are not that much more expensive.

Which of the two offer a smoother ride? I understand that too soft, and too hard are both bad for ride quality, I like a bit of a firm ride, but not overly so as this is my daily driver.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 09-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Plus, the 5150 rear set looks pretty trick. I always do this, want the 'better' version of stuff even if it is not necessary for my application/use.

Would the 5100 front and 5150 (for OE ride height) suffice if I decide to lift 2-3"? Or would I need new rear shocks, be it 5100 or 5150?

Found this 2nd gen thread, I wonder if this also applies to 1st gens. The 5100 sounds better and better right now.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Thanks for the response! 5100 and 5150 it is!!

There are various 5150, would the one I get for OE height/travel suffice for 2-3", or would I need to get a whole new 5150 for the new height later down the road (no pun) when/if I lift?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Whichever ones you get now, you should be fine keeping later down the road when you lift your truck, the 5150's have way more travel than stock anyways.
I'd say get the 10" and be on your way
Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Hmm do the 5125 and 5150 ride the same, with one having better heat dissipation than the other? I hope the 5150 is not stiffer than the 5125.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Fricken bummer, called up Down South to get details before I order, and good thing I did. At stock ride height the 5100 and 5150 rears are only equal length, and not the right length for the driver/passenger offset in height. Down South was not sure if this would cause a shock to bottom out and get damaged, so I leaned on the safe side and got the 5100 front 5125 rear package. Was looking forward to the remote reservoirs of the 5150, and worse yet the 5100 and 5150 rear are smoother, the 5125 a bit firmer, so I'm bummed about that detail, but I'm not ready to lift the truck yet, maybe a few years from now.