Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 @ .85 and Alignment?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 @ .85 and Alignment?

So I installed my front Bilstein 5100s this weekend via the "dropping the LCA" method which was ridiculously easy I might add. The whole thing didn't take more than 2+15 and that was with me having never done it/talking/ensuring I screwed nothing up. Anyways, I'm going to be installing Camburg Spindles next, but probably not for at least a month or so. My question is I'm having a hard time rationalizing getting my front end aligned right now. I don't seem to have any noticeable toe in/toe out, it drives perfectly straight going down the road...though I've yet to go faster than 55. In "theory" I expected some toe out would be the problem based off my less than knowledgeable rationale, but all seems fine, and I think I want to wait till after I install the Spindles for an alignment. Somebody talk me out of it!? What am I missing, because everything seems fine as of right now.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't have alignment issues when I first lifted my truck roughly 3" (running on stock tires). Waited A month till I got my new tires to do the alignment. You could pay the life time alignment deal at FireStone now get the alignment done and when you get your spindles on you could do it then for free.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If it drives and handles fine, the only think you're risking is chewing up your tires really. How many miles to you drive daily? If you're putting on 1,000 miles a week then it might be worth it but otherwise you could probably get away with putting it off. FWIW, I put 5100's and Eibachs, did not drop the LCA and I was way out when I took it in for alignment. I could tell though, my truck pulled pretty bad and wandered before the alignment but you're saying it drives fine.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
mrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrw3685 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Single Anchor Single-Seat Master Race
mrw3685's Tacoma Gallery
I had planned on going to Firestone....but now that I've looked I don't think I have a Firestone around here! I don't drive hardly anything daily, 10 miles roundtrip to work, and the speed limit is 30-45 in places and themost I'll do is about 55 or so. I "kind of" figured my alignment would be tits up, so financially I was prepared to get one, but it really drives exactly the same as before I did it. Considering I hit the same bumps, every day, "nearly" 365 days a year, I can say the 5100s are nicer. The initial jolt from some speedbumps and the rebound afterwards is noticeably smoother, but probably only because I'm actively looking for it. Eh, we'll give it another weeks, re-torque the bolts, and see if i think I need one...though right now I'm thinking not.