Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3inch Lift Question - Diff Drop?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
3inch Lift Question - Diff Drop?

So I'm pretty close to buying a 3 inch lift. It will include Total Chaos UCAs, Front FOX 2.5 Coilovers and Rear FOX 2.0 Coilovers with 700lb Springs - done by Downsouth, as well as the All-Pro 3inch rear lift kit including U-bolt Flip kit, break lines and replacement leafs. My question is, to maintain my 4x4 do I need to do a diff drop I want to make sure I'm not killing the ride with this lift. I'll eventually get 33s with the TRD Rims I have and regear as well as do the cab mount chop and some trimming, but I want to make sure this lift is a-ok let me know about the Diff drop thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Diff drops for 2nd gens don't do anything.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So this lift is a-ok?

p.s. do you know any good shops to install the lift around socal?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell View Post
So I'm pretty close to buying a 3 inch lift. It will include Total Chaos UCAs, Front FOX 2.5 Coilovers and Rear FOX 2.0 Coilovers with 700lb Springs - done by Downsouth, as well as the All-Pro 3inch rear lift kit including U-bolt Flip kit, break lines and replacement leafs. My question is, to maintain my 4x4 do I need to do a diff drop I want to make sure I'm not killing the ride with this lift. I'll eventually get 33s with the TRD Rims I have and regear as well as do the cab mount chop and some trimming, but I want to make sure this lift is a-ok let me know about the Diff drop thanks.

better see some pics when its done. i have taked to procomp and toytec. procomp no... toytec, recommends it. not sure for all-pro.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Go BIG or Go HOME

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superx2 View Post
better see some pics when its done. i have taked to procomp and toytec. procomp no... toytec, recommends it. not sure for all-pro.
Of course pics, I'm planning on making a build after I get the lift installed
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2
I have a OME lift and I have never even thought of getting a diff drop.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Woody06 is on a distinguished road

Woody06's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100 series bilstin shocks and lift struts with situation leaf packs in the rear and a 3 inch spacer up front... my spacer kit came with a diff drop and I didn't install it...and then I started to have weird noises when I put it in 4wheel drive so I installed it after that no problems
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Go BIG or Go HOME

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Any more input from people? sounds like it's hit or miss
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody06 View Post
I have 5100 series bilstin shocks and lift struts with situation leaf packs in the rear and a 3 inch spacer up front... my spacer kit came with a diff drop and I didn't install it...and then I started to have weird noises when I put it in 4wheel drive so I installed it after that no problems
You have lift struts and a spacer?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
You have lift struts and a spacer?
Sounds like it. Super bro retarded lift.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
It would also explain the noises and need for the diff drop, depending on the spacer thickness of course.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I gotta ask, you've said multiple times that a diff drop doesn't do anything on 2nd Gens and I'm not seeing it. If you lift up to 3" and your CV angles are steep, a diff drop would lower the diff and reduce the CV angles. What am I missing?

I get that not everyone installs them and most people are fine without installing them but there are cases where they seem to help. They seem almost like rear shims and CB drops, sometimes they work, other times they aren't needed.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #13

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I gotta ask, you've said multiple times that a diff drop doesn't do anything on 2nd Gens and I'm not seeing it. If you lift up to 3" and your CV angles are steep, a diff drop would lower the diff and reduce the CV angles. What am I missing?

I get that not everyone installs them and most people are fine without installing them but there are cases where they seem to help. They seem almost like rear shims and CB drops, sometimes they work, other times they aren't needed.
The CV angle only changes by about 0.5°
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:

Someone posted pics of what it does. The diff is just rotated slightly so the CVs are in a "better" position. The effect is so small that it isn't worth the low hanging hardware. Chris4X4 also commented a few times on how it doesn't really do anything. But he also says if you have problems put it on but if you don't then skip it.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The CV angle only changes by about 0.5°
That I can understand but if you're looking at the difference between 2.75 degrees or 3.25 degrees, that could be the difference between vibes and no vibes. IIRC, CV angles like to be under 3 degrees.

I agree with Whipper's comment on "install it if you need but if you can get away without it, then don't" but I didn't agree with "It doesn't do anything for 2nd Gens".
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #16

Marines:
Quote:
That I can understand but if you're looking at the difference between 2.75 degrees or 3.25 degrees, that could be the difference between vibes and no vibes. IIRC, CV angles like to be under 3 degrees.

I agree with Whipper's comment on "install it if you need but if you can get away without it, then don't" but I didn't agree with "It doesn't do anything for 2nd Gens".
I'm trying to locate the thread where the discussion originates from.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I think anything you can do to keep the cv boots from tearing should be done...if the ribs are riding it won't take long before you have issues. I know the drop isn't much but every little bit helps.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

Here's a good thread with lots of opinions. MJP and Mr. 4x2 both comment on the usefulness/uselessness of a diff drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Correct, Mike....err.r....Uncle Mike....??........The "Diff Drops" drop teh FRONT of the diff 1", but the drive shafts go into the diff further back. Lets say that it dropps the point at which the drive shafts enter the diff 1/2" (best case).....That is only about 1* change in the angle of the CV joints. Nothing that will do any good. The side affects however, can be worse. ASide from what Uncle Mike mentioned, vibes can be increased, and if the diff is moved slightly from the installation of this Drop, welp......your gonna get the wobbles....
Seems like if it were to gain a degree for the CV's in the right direction, it'd be worth it. At least that's my opinion... and Chris is talking to MJP, he's not calling me Uncle Mike, that'd just be weird.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #19

Marines:
Quote:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

Here's a good thread with lots of opinions. MJP and Mr. 4x2 both comment on the usefulness/uselessness of a diff drop.

Seems like if it were to gain a degree for the CV's in the right direction, it'd be worth it. At least that's my opinion... and Chris is talking to MJP, he's not calling me Uncle Mike, that'd just be weird.
YOU SUNNUVA................been looking for that thread for the past 10 minutes!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #20
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Besides making for some low-hanging hardware, the diff drop on the 05+ trucks rotates the differential so you have the added benefit of shifting the differential fluid away from the pinion bearings.