Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help with Bilstein 5100's

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
Help with Bilstein 5100's

So I have bilstein 5100's in the front at 2.5' with stock UCA's and bilstein 5100's in the rear. What issues am I going to run into with this setup? What should I do to fix those issues?

My tires in the front right now aren't straight up and down, but rather like this

\---/ after installing the shocks in the front. How do I get them to be straight up and down like l---l.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also have a problem with a sound underneath the front of the car when im slowing down or when im starting to accelerate after being at a complete stop. Doesn't happen everytime but has happened a couple of times. Sounds like something brushing up against something else. What is it?

I just noticed this today.

As I slow down, the sound slows down too, and as I speed it the sound speeds up but there's no sound when I'm going at normal city or highway speeds only when im coasting to stop or coming out of a stop. But what would it rub against? It doesnt sound like the tire is rubbing against it.... It sounds like something going at a certain speed rubbing against a metal piece, or even metal on metal.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
you need an alignment after you install them to make them like l---l
Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
you need an alignment after you install them to make them like l---l
X2 u have to align it
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
SoCal Reppin
iRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shediRepLONGBEACH is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iRepLONGBEACH's Tacoma Gallery
i heard its 50/50 whether u need uca's with that lil lift up front. some people need em, and some dont.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

yeah i dont think ill be needing UCA's in front because it's not wandering like crazy
i drove on the freeway today and it was for the most part fine,

but im just wondering if just allignment in the front end will correct the tire problem and make it go from

\---/ to l---l
Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Thats the entire purpose of an alignment. Correcting the toe/camber/caster of your wheels/tires lets you drive in a straight line. Go to a shop and get one ASAP!

You should be safe from needing new UCAs with only 2.5, but you need to see how close to stock the shop you go to can align your wheels.

Hope this helps!
(Make sure you do a TON of research before going into things next time! )
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
Kona - thanks for the advice and help haha. Do you know what could possibly be causing the sound underneath my truck (look at the end of my first post)
does it only happen under hard braking? does it matter with light or hard braking?

Then check to see if your tires are rubbing something in the wheel well.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What size wheels/tires are you running? It sounds like you could be rubbing something...try take a look at the inner side of your wheels/tires for scrape marks.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
does it only happen under hard braking? does it matter with light or hard braking?

Then check to see if your tires are rubbing something in the wheel well.
Only happened under soft braking and then coming out of being in a complete stop but when going faster it doesn't make a sound.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #15

I cant think of anything that would sound like brushing from the engine bay....unless it's a loose belt?

But then that wouldn't be affected by the 5100's .....
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
Don't brake pads make more of a screechy metal on metal noise rather than some plastic rubbing on plastic or something near that nature?
yea they could unless the calibers are off..which idk if thats possible..but it could be..

It can't be your tires, my dad has the same size and he doesn't rub...tho he does have a 3'' lift..