LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What is the recommended lifespan for the shocks/ struts?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
What is the recommended lifespan for the shocks/ struts?

They wear out after a while right? Any way to check? I have 133k currently. When it's due, I will be looking for an upgrade if it will mean a better ride with and without heavy loads. I have the most basic 2006 2.7 model. I checked the bilstein 5100's and I don't think they fit my truck.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How long they last depends soley on the driving conditions. Heavy hauling and flexing the suspension can wear out components quicker. Replace the shocks when the truck is 'bouncy'. It should be one of the check points of a safety inspection (if your state mandates them).
Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Anywhere after 70k.
Look for oil leaks. Bounce each bumper, if it bounces more than a couple times after=replace.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Anywhere after 70k.
Look for oil leaks. Bounce each bumper, if it bounces more than a couple times after=replace.
oil leaks from shocks?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
oil leaks from shocks?
yes, if you see oil leaking from a shock, it's a good indication that the seal has blown and it's time for replacing (or rebuilding if you have high end shocks).
Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. Anybody want to suggest a good upgrade for the barebones, 2.7L, rwd, 5 lug? I'm wondering which of kyg, tokico, bilstein, rancho, etc. are better. I have stiff tokico's on my corolla.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
bilstein 5100s!
I tried finding them but don't think they make them for my 5 lug.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't go off-road, basic shocks designed as OEM replacements will do:

Bilstein 4600 series. Googling the part #s show them to be about $75 each at Summit Racing.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=RWD

Monroe (only $45 each):
http://www.autopartsway.com/partlist...1/tabS/drvTRWD
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If you don't go off-road, basic shocks designed as OEM replacements will do:

Bilstein 4600 series. Googling the part #s show them to be about $75 each at Summit Racing.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=RWD

Monroe (only $45 each):
http://www.autopartsway.com/partlist...1/tabS/drvTRWD
Thanks I matched your bilstein numbers to the ones I looked up earlier on tirerack at $66 each. Comes to $280.16 shipped. Now I will check the truck and decide.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought these (or something similar to):
Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. These will probably last longer than the Toyota OEM ones.