Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

help on picking new suspension

Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
help on picking new suspension

i had wanted to keep the suspension stock to keep it under the warranty but idk how much longer i can hold out. and ive had the truck for a month. i was thinking about getting leveling spacers for just the front to accommodate larger tires but i was also looking at bilstein 5100's for the front. my questions were wat r the cons of just leveling spacers and how easy is the install of 5100's? i really dont want to tear out a bunch of parts to install them..is it pretty much a straight foward remove and replace?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
i had wanted to keep the suspension stock to keep it under the warranty but idk how much longer i can hold out. and ive had the truck for a month. i was thinking about getting leveling spacers for just the front to accommodate larger tires but i was also looking at bilstein 5100's for the front. my questions were wat r the cons of just leveling spacers and how easy is the install of 5100's? i really dont want to tear out a bunch of parts to install them..is it pretty much a straight foward remove and replace?
Cons of spacers below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camburg
Read Before you buy a spacer lift!
We get asked this question all the time. “Why are most spacer lifts be bad”? Well spacer lifts can cause a few problems and cost you big dollars to fix. First there are a few different kinds of spacer lifts, there is the kind that just bolts on the top of the existing shock that spaces it down to give lift. The problem that can come from running this kind of spacer is the shock will now be allowed to droop to far downward causing binding and damage to ball joints, 4×4 axle cv’s, and steering joints. The other issue you might have is since the shock is now just pushed down when you bottom out the suspension on or off-road instead of hitting the bumpstops you will just bottom out the shock. This can lead to some hefty damage. The next kind of spacer lift available are the preload spacers. These will usually cause the coil springs to be preloaded to give lift. The side effect to this type of lift is the shock valving is not designed for the extra preload of the spring giving the ride a bad bouncy feel that sometimes feels uncontrolled. And in some cases we have seen the spring coilbind causing damage to the shock and the frame. This is because the spring is designed to move about 1/2 its total length so when you pre-load them they are now compressed to much so near bottom out they will bind before you hit the bumpstops.
You will need a spring compressor to install the 5100's, or have a shop do that part for you.

Also, lifts don't void the warranty. Google magnusson-moss act.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
also, modifying a vehicle does not void its warranty. (^ what he said)

lift that SOB.... but not with spacers
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gahh u guys just made my friday morning! getting cancelled at work bc of the rain isnt helping the situation tho haha. so wat do u guys think, my best bet is some 5100's on the front to level it out? is there anything else i need besides the shocks? i saw them online for $180 and if i onlyy need the shocks then thats fucking awesome. hoping i dont need to replace the control arms or anything else.. thank again for the quick responses!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gahh u guys just made my friday morning! getting cancelled at work bc of the rain isnt helping the situation tho haha. so wat do u guys think, my best bet is some 5100's on the front to level it out? is there anything else i need besides the shocks? i saw them online for $180 and if i onlyy need the shocks then thats fucking awesome. hoping i dont need to replace the control arms or anything else.. thank again for the quick responses!!!
It really depends on how high you want to go. If you just want a level look, you can set the fronts to 0.85" and you are good to go.

If you want 1.75" front, you'll need an add a leaf to level out the back.

If you want to go 2.5" front, you might need new upper control arms to get your alignment right.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

setting them to .85 will make the front level with the back? i feel like on one of the threads i looked at, it said 1.75 would level the front with a stock rear. if it is .85, will the odds of having the dreaded front end vibes be less likely?? thanks for the help!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #7

KPT, did u have much vibration after u lift?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
KPT, did u have much vibration after u lift?
Zero vibes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

really? wats ur set up? diff drop or anything?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
really? wats ur set up? diff drop or anything?
Prerunner, no front diff.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
setting them to .85 will make the front level with the back? i feel like on one of the threads i looked at, it said 1.75 would level the front with a stock rear. if it is .85, will the odds of having the dreaded front end vibes be less likely?? thanks for the help!!
Measure and you'll know what setting to set the 5100's at to make the truck level. Measure from the center of the hub to the fender on the front and back. FWIW, I'm about 1.5" up in the front and back and I don't have any issues with vibes. I used lift coils on 5100's rather than stock coils and an AAL in the rear.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

ahh thats right u have a prerunner. this 4x4 better make itself worth it this winter... ill measure the height difference and see. i dont wanna go over .85 or get aal's bc of all the stories ive read on here..leveling my truck perfectly even isnt worth having to pay for a new front diff or cv axles out of pocket bc the lift voided the warranty lol. im cool with .85 tho if i keep the rear stock and just get 2 5100's and keep everything else stock, i should be fine right? thanks again for all the help
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #14

nice! thanks for all ur help man