Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

will lift void warranty?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
will lift void warranty?

ive spent about 5 hours reading posts about front end vibes after a lift. wat ive concluded is that its a front diff bearing and that although the lift doesnt cause it, it makes it super noticeable. everyone has said they had their front diffs replaces by the dealer under warranty but ive read one of 2 that say that their dealers said any problems caused by a modification isnt covered bc the modification voids the warranty. can anyone give a definitive answer on this? tried calling my dealer today but the "right person" wasnt in
Old 09-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bumpp
Old 09-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Yea i wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this sticky subject with a definite answer
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
They can only deny warranty coverage if they can PROVE the mod caused the issue. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
No, unless they can prove the lift causes an issue.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
A lift will not technically but will practically void your powertrain/suspension warranty if the dealer feels like it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
They can only deny warranty coverage if they can PROVE the mod caused the issue. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Legally, it will not based on the Magnuson-Moss Act referenced above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
A lift will not technically but will practically void your powertrain/suspension warranty if the dealer feels like it.
Realistically, jandrews is right. Although legall your warranty is not void due to a lift, you may end up fighting with the dealership if something in your powertrain goes. Personally, I waited until the powertrain warranty was almost gone before I finally lifted, wasn't worth the hassle to me.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Realistically, jandrews is right. Although legall your warranty is not void due to a lift, you may end up fighting with the dealership if something in your powertrain goes.
This. If the dealership and/or Toyota wants to deny the warranty claim, they will claim that the lift altered the driveline angle, which stressed powertrain components in ways they were not designed for, ultimately leading to the failure.

You will probably arrive at an impasse when the dealer/ToMoCo folds their arms and says "we're not fixing it without a court order". The lawyer fees and time it would take to force that issue would be more than paying for the repair itself.

...And that's if court is even an option. Most dealerships include arbitration clauses as part of the paperwork you sign when purchasing the vehicle, meaning you essentially agree to binding arbitration instead of recourse in court if you have a disagreement with the dealership/Toyota over your vehicle. Arbitration *almost* always sides with the dealership.

So no, your powertrain warranty isn't legally void from a suspension lift. It's just legally useless.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

makes me think twice about lifting the truck. ive heard hundreds of threads on here and other tacoma forums about the dreaded front end vibe and although thru my reading every1 says the lift doesnt cause the front diff bearing problem, it just makes it more noticable. i wanted to put 5100's on the front and set them to .85 just to level the truck out.. wat do u think the odds r that ill get the vibe or have my warramty fucked if i leave the back stock and set the front to .85? thanks for the help!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
makes me think twice about lifting the truck. ive heard hundreds of threads on here and other tacoma forums about the dreaded front end vibe and although thru my reading every1 says the lift doesnt cause the front diff bearing problem, it just makes it more noticable. i wanted to put 5100's on the front and set them to .85 just to level the truck out.. wat do u think the odds r that ill get the vibe or have my warramty fucked if i leave the back stock and set the front to .85? thanks for the help!!
If you're going to fuck with your truck, be ready to fix it yourself.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #11

i hear that. every thread about the front end vibe deals with the front 5100'sset at 1.75 or 2.5 combined with a rear lift. im planning on a stock rear with a .85 lift in the front so im HOPING i have none of the front diff problems. and although soe of the people with the vibe probs had theyre front diff replaced under warranty but in ur guys opinions, u think ill have any of the front diff or cv problems with only .85?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i hear that. every thread about the front end vibe deals with the front 5100'sset at 1.75 or 2.5 combined with a rear lift. im planning on a stock rear with a .85 lift in the front so im HOPING i have none of the front diff problems. and although soe of the people with the vibe probs had theyre front diff replaced under warranty but in ur guys opinions, u think ill have any of the front diff or cv problems with only .85?
0.85 is unlikely to cause problems.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #13

Quote:
u think ill have any of the front diff or cv problems with only .85?
Impossible to tell. If you fuck with your truck, be ready to fix it.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
At .85 I really doubt the dealer would say anything, however if lifting the truck causes vibes to become noticeable, in a sense causing the vibes it shouldn't technically fall onto them to fix it. Also remember Toyota sells and installs 3" spacer lifts right off the lot, the likely hood of them saying anything is low, but don't volunteer information. If vibes do show up and you want to try your luck with the dealer just tell them there are vibes. Don't tell them you've done hours of research and you know what it is, and you modded your truck, save all that information for later if ever.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #15
TACOMA 2011
2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about
Name: aaron
2011TACOMAWHR's Tacoma Gallery
Or do what I do keep your stock shit. And when it brakes take the 2 hours to swaP the stock crap for the modified crap and tell the holes to fix it under warranty
Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
TACOMA 2011
2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about2011TACOMAWHR has a spectacular aura about
Name: aaron
2011TACOMAWHR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
that would not even get past first base. They would know if the suspension was altered. Marks would be prominent on bolts.
this site has been awesome. I read and found out vibes are common on 4x4's . since I won't be doing off roading and I wanted a lift, it influenced me on getting a pre runner. So far so good.zero vibes.
Just my two cents.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
0.85 is unlikely to cause problems.
x2, at .85 I highly doubt you'll have any issues or, if you do, I doubt the stealership would give you a hard time (if they notice at all and I wouldn't bring it to their attention). They can't do anything about you changing your shocks and they may not realize the 5100's can be set at a different setting to provide lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TACOMAWHR View Post
Or do what I do keep your stock shit. And when it brakes take the 2 hours to swaP the stock crap for the modified crap and tell the holes to fix it under warranty
You could try this but if they ask you if the suspension was modified (because they will notice) that's when you have to fess up otherwise it could get ugly. You're better off being up front about the lift, leaving it on and knowing your facts about the truck and how to argue that the lift did not cause the failure. Sometimes showing them that you know what the hell you're doing and didn't cut corners with the lift, they may not immediately point the finger at the lift.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #18

u all make very valid points. i guess i just have to weigh my options. thanks for all the help i really dont think a .85 lift will hurt anything. again all the horror stories i read had lifts at 1.75 or 2.5 or above. thanks again every1!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Malachi is on a distinguished road
Malachi's Tacoma Gallery
So when I bought my 2012 yota the dealership said that 2.5 inches or less does not void your warranty and if you want to be sure, have the dealership put it on for you. Its an option that they can offer on models like the baja series truck etc. And they won't do anything over 2.5 inches. And one size larger on tire size is also ok and doesn't effect your warranty.

HOWEVER

Anything in access of those requirements voids your entire warranty. That includes power train, suspension, the whole 9 yards.

They sell trucks off the lot with those options all day long.

But, it's still up to the dealer. They have the power in that situation. I am going to go to my closest dealer and have them do the lift. 2" in the front and 1 " in the rear.

If they say no than its not worth voiding my 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with free roadside.

ANY THOUGHTS??????