Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need some help with in-progress install

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Need some help with in-progress install

Ok, looks like I jumped in too quickly on this one.

Here are some pics of what Im working with.

These spring compressors look sketchy as shit. What is the probability I will kill myself if I start taking off this nut? These are from Advanced Auto; where can I find better compressors?

How do I disconnect the UCA ball joint from the steering knuckle as circled here: (Basic tools only; should I even attempt?)

Lastly, what should I preset my LR UCA's for the closest alignment with a 2" lift?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
cant help with the UCA but I used those same compressors, worked fine. Just make sure there is slop in the top plate before taking off the nut or you will kill yourself and anyone in a 10 mile radius
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
I used those and have another set in my car waiting for tonight. They are awkward but do the job. I suggest standing on the end of the shocks and to the side a little with your body not touching the coil at any time in case the compressor rod breaks. Probably won't though. Think about it. Thousands of unskilled/ illegals rent that tool and do this job. Breaking is rare and danger is even more rare. Does it happen? Of course it does. The reason people are so scared of those tools is because some people have been very dumb and injured themselves really bad by not using common sense. One huge fail is trying to tighten the nut more than what is reasonable because it won't compress enough. Your photo is far from that however I would suggest moving the tool down one more loop on the spring if it does not release easily. Also, I don't see any grease on the threads. Get some wd40 on it asap. Impacts are not wise either due to over torquing.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I just skipped the UCA's and finished up the suspension. Went smoothly after I stopped messing with the arms. I forgot the driver side trim so hopefully I wont need it...
Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Thanks guys. I just skipped the UCA's and finished up the suspension. Went smoothly after I stopped messing with the arms. I forgot the driver side trim so hopefully I wont need it...
a few good smacks to the side of the uca should pop the taper out.....or you can use one of these