1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some help with in-progress install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by StAndrew, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Ok, looks like I jumped in too quickly on this one.

Here are some pics of what Im working with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These spring compressors look sketchy as shit. What is the probability I will kill myself if I start taking off this nut? These are from Advanced Auto; where can I find better compressors?

[​IMG]

How do I disconnect the UCA ball joint from the steering knuckle as circled here: (Basic tools only; should I even attempt?)

[​IMG]

Lastly, what should I preset my LR UCA's for the closest alignment with a 2" lift?

2. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    cant help with the UCA but I used those same compressors, worked fine. Just make sure there is slop in the top plate before taking off the nut or you will kill yourself and anyone in a 10 mile radius:p

3. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I used those and have another set in my car waiting for tonight. They are awkward but do the job. I suggest standing on the end of the shocks and to the side a little with your body not touching the coil at any time in case the compressor rod breaks. Probably won't though. Think about it. Thousands of unskilled/ illegals rent that tool and do this job. Breaking is rare and danger is even more rare. Does it happen? Of course it does. The reason people are so scared of those tools is because some people have been very dumb and injured themselves really bad by not using common sense. One huge fail is trying to tighten the nut more than what is reasonable because it won't compress enough. Your photo is far from that however I would suggest moving the tool down one more loop on the spring if it does not release easily. Also, I don't see any grease on the threads. Get some wd40 on it asap. Impacts are not wise either due to over torquing.

4. Sep 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew [OP] Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Thanks guys. I just skipped the UCA's and finished up the suspension. Went smoothly after I stopped messing with the arms. I forgot the driver side trim so hopefully I wont need it...

5. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    a few good smacks to the side of the uca should pop the taper out.....or you can use one of these [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top