LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How do bilstein shocks work?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
How do bilstein shocks work?

hey guys i have an important question. I would like to know how exactly bilstien 5100 shocks work. Mainly how they lift the truck up 2.5 inches. The reason i ask is because my freind and i are in a big argument. My freind who is a chevy guy said there is no way the bilstien shocks can lift a truck. He called summit and jegs to ask them if the shocks could lift a truck and the answer he got from both places said no it can not. Anyways im pretty sure the bilstien 5100s can give trucks up to 2.5 inches of lift, mainly because i read and seen the results. But please enlighten me on how the billys lift up our trucks. thanks alot guys
Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable

Zinc-plated shocks that install like factory replacement shocks and are designed to correct the factory rake. The OEM spring seat is repositioned to provide more preload to the factory spring. The result is a level front to rear ride height. An extremely simple and effective solution, offering increased wheel travel while accommodating a 33" tire.
Applications available for numerous later model Chevrolet/GMC, Dodge, Ford, Nissan, and Toyota trucks and SUVs
**Ride height varies according to application.

From Bilsten website... The shocks are preloaded is the answer to your question.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
tell your jackass friend to go read for himself on the internet it is pretty readily available info.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc001 View Post
hey guys i have an important question. I would like to know how exactly bilstien 5100 shocks work. Mainly how they lift the truck up 2.5 inches. The reason i ask is because my freind and i are in a big argument. My freind who is a chevy guy said there is no way the bilstien shocks can lift a truck. He called summit and jegs to ask them if the shocks could lift a truck and the answer he got from both places said no it can not. Anyways im pretty sure the bilstien 5100s can give trucks up to 2.5 inches of lift, mainly because i read and seen the results. But please enlighten me on how the billys lift up our trucks. thanks alot guys
There are four grooves on the shock which support the bottom of the coil. The higher the groove setting, the higher the bottom of the coil sits. I have them on mine. It definitely lifts.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i tried to tell him but hes still thinks hes right. I told him that summit or jegs is not going to know about the billy shocks for our trucks cause they are more of a raceing company. The reason i posted this on here is to get answers, my freind also posted on his forum full size chevy, but there still not going to know. thanks guys
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking into getting these. Will putting these on mean i can put the 285/75/16 on?? You can get front and backs for 269 free shipping on ebay. i was looking at getting a leveling kit install and the price for that was 795.00. then of course a grand for tires.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
I have been looking into getting these. Will putting these on mean i can put the 285/75/16 on?? You can get front and backs for 269 free shipping on ebay. i was looking at getting a leveling kit install and the price for that was 795.00. then of course a grand for tires.
Yes...set them at the 2.5 setting and those tires will fit. it may sit a bit higher in the front but it will settle down.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Yes...set them at the 2.5 setting and those tires will fit. it may sit a bit higher in the front but it will settle down.
thanks for the info taco. thats with out the leveling kit and factory coils right? i've read so much on this i'm now more confused then when i started.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the info taco. thats with out the leveling kit and factory coils right? i've read so much on this i'm now more confused then when i started.
Correct. They ARE the leveling kit. That is all that is done to my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
How do bilstein shocks work?-110_1031.jpg  
Old 11-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
If it flies it dies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Correct. They ARE the leveling kit. That is all that is done to my truck.

Thanks again taco. Sweet taco!! Thats about what i'm looking to do to my truck. Are those 285's or 265's? Not sure which size i will get yet. I do know that the 245 dunnys got to go.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks again taco. Sweet taco!! Thats about what i'm looking to do to my truck. Are those 285's or 265's? Not sure which size i will get yet. I do know that the 245 dunnys got to go.
Thanks! 285/70/17 BFG's. They do require a bit of trimming on the mud flaps to clear.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
so can you also set the front at different settings to balance out "the Taco lean" ???
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Yep
great - which way do you set them??
drivers up one notch to push the passenger rear down ??
just a guess