LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

cab mount chop?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
cab mount chop?

ok so i am going to install billys on all 4 corners, eibach springs, AAL, and 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers in the front and I am going to run 285's. i have read that it is a good idea to cut the cab mounts and reseal them but i talked to a guy who owns a 4x4 shop and he said that with the setup i am going to run there is no need to cut the cab mounts. is this true???
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Still not worthy!
Sawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud ofSawick has much to be proud of

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Jason
Sawick's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the Backspacing of the Rims you will be running. With my 5BS rims, and the same set up as you, I would have to chop my mounts if I did any heavy wheeling.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

even with the wheel spacers?
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
wheel spacers will make it more of a need to chop them
Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!

damn...well since i don't really have enough time to wheel as much as i would like, can i get away with not getting it done for a while? cause the shop i talked to charges $95 bucks an hour
Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I payed $150 for both sides! I was rubbing the cab mount while backing up with the wheel turned so it just depends if you have it or not!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Stop staring at me swan!

yeah i need to figure something out but i just don't know a good local place
Old 09-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
ok so i am going to install billys on all 4 corners, eibach springs, AAL, and 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers in the front and I am going to run 285's. i have read that it is a good idea to cut the cab mounts and reseal them but i talked to a guy who owns a 4x4 shop and he said that with the setup i am going to run there is no need to cut the cab mounts. is this true???
It doesn't hurt to wait and see if you're rubbing first.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Stop staring at me swan!

true true...but it is difficult for me to do any mods that take a while cause i am a full time student and i work full time so i basically have no life lol
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
It shouldnt rub to terribly bad on the road. I would think you would be fine on the road. But i wouldnt do much wheeling without chopping them or you might get into more serious rubbing. I had a buddy with an FJ, same deal with the cab mount, with 35s and he had to drive around on the road a little bit without doing the chop. It took him about 3 tries to get into the driveway but still doable.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
true true...but it is difficult for me to do any mods that take a while cause i am a full time student and i work full time so i basically have no life lol
I lived that life for a while.

Props to you.

My advice: hold off on installing the lift at all until summer break, then get together with some other local TW members for a DIY install.

That'll save you some coin and build experience without cutting into your studies.

I killed my grades one semester by trying to replace my motorcycle's head gasket "over the weekend."
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Stop staring at me swan!

i am going to do the install with my uncle cause he has a full garage with a lift and he is gonna help me do it. i work am waitstaff at a country club which is a season job and the season is finally stating to slow down lol so i am gonna have to do it during the week sometime
Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
mrad is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: aviation maintenance tech
Name: michael
mrad's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys so I talked to a local shop about doing cab mount chop and the guy said that if I do it and get in an accident the insurance wont cover my truck because its considered frame damage cutting it or something. is there any truth to this. thanks