Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Perplexed by my rear ride height decrease (Wheeler's AAL)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Question Perplexed by my rear ride height decrease (Wheeler's AAL)

I've had a Wheelers 1.5" 3-leaf AAL in back for about a year now -- I love em and they ride great. I had my front 5100s set at 1.75" lift, and I liked the nose-low negative rake with that configuration. The rear sat about 1.5" higher than the front.

Then recently I increased my front to 2.5" and put my overload leafs back on with my Wheelers AAL's. The overload leafs are a little more than 1/2" thick, so I figured it would increase my rear ride height by that much.....buuuut now my rear and front ride heights are almost level relative to one another My rear sits *maybe* 1/2" higher than my front. What the heck? Did my rear springs/AAL's suddenly sag after I put my overloads back on??? Doesn't make any sense.

If my rear shocks are blown, would that cause my rear to sag? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm running 5100's in back, which I know I'm not supposed to do with 2" of lift, so it's possible I blew my shocks. But I think if they were blown it would be more obvious in how it rides.

Any thoughts?

Here's a before pic with just the AAL's (no overload leafs) and front at 1.75" -- definite nose low:

And an after with the 1/2" thick overload leafs added and the front raised to 2.5" -- looks pretty much level compared to before pic:

I realize in the second pic it's parked on uneven ground but it looks exactly the same when it's parked on level pavement. WTF is up???
Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
So the front is set at 2.5 and the rear is a 1.5" leaf pack with a .5" thick overload? So 2.5 in the front and 2.0 in the back..sounds like it should be level if not slightly raked. Even with the stock rake the wheelers leafs are progressive right? Tow anything lately?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
From my experience with an AAL they gradualy lose strength over time. I had the same set up. AAL in the rear, front 5100's set at 1.75. Had a light forward rake for about 6 months. Then the AAL lost all strenght and I was bottoming out againand had a slight rear rake. You leaf pack might be shot so it might be time for a whole new leaf pack. OME Dakar is what I replaced mine with, and I couldn't be happier. Its a 7 leaf pack and super strong. I can load just about anything I want to in the back and it doesn't bottom out.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
How did adding the overload back in change the feel? I'm thinking of doing the same! You should still have a rake but I think it looks good leveled! I like the leveled look or slight rake, not the larger factory rake!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
socal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to all
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
How did adding the overload back in change the feel? I'm thinking of doing the same! You should still have a rake but I think it looks good leveled! I like the leveled look or slight rake, not the larger factory rake!

I'm thinking about it too. Sub'd
Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Talked to Johnny at Wheelers and he said they keep the overload in with that aal and it's fine. Uptravel will stiffen once the overload is engaged but down travel will stay flexey.....so should work! I'm getting new bumpstops and adding the overload back in soon so I'll report back with ride and height measurements, etc.

BenWA, did you take any measurements? or just going by looks?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
rolltide05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Micheal
rolltide05's Tacoma Gallery
I just done the Wheelers AAL with and without the overload and there is no differences at all in the ride quality. Height wise there was a .5" or so increase once I added the overload back in which is great. My front sits at 39.25" and the rear is right on 39.50".
Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #8

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I really like mine other than the fact they softened up on me! 39.5" front sounds high.....Toytec's pre-set run like 4" lift. You may want to lower them so your CV's dont eat it. I ended up lowering mine to 38.5" running 285 MT's. I know that's pretty close to 3" as I had a 2.5" spacer and that sat at 38". They will ride way smoother at 3" with removed sway bar!

I posted I want to see pics in your other thread!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
rolltide05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Micheal
rolltide05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Ya, I really like mine other than the fact they softened up on me! 39.5" front sounds high.....Toytec's pre-set run like 4" lift. You may want to lower them so your CV's dont eat it. I ended up lowering mine to 38.5" running 285 MT's. I know that's pretty close to 3" as I had a 2.5" spacer and that sat at 38". They will ride way smoother at 3" with removed sway bar!

I posted I want to see pics in your other thread!
No front sits 39.25 at most in front but I want to lower them but after the first time trying to adjust them I said screw it all after 2hrs. my CV angles really do not look bad and arent squished together.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #10

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Did you have the tires removed and front lifted? Mine were super easy. Just get the small one lined up and resting against something and use the larger one to spin it. It's a lot easier before dirt and grime gets in there. Good luck, truck looks great!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I had a similar issue with different equipment. Its really strange. I'm still considering installing another inch in my rear. I have a little reverse rake.

FYI shocks have nothing to do with ride height.