1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with suspension and wheels

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stackyochips26, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Jun 14, 2007 at 6:54 PM
    stackyochips26

stackyochips26 [OP] Member

Member:
    I recently acquired my 06 Tacoma 4x4 access cab, sport in November, this is my first car/truck and boy do i love it. Now that the summer has come along and I am starting to put some money back in my pocket i am considering getting it lifted 3" as well as getting some new rims.
    I'll admit right now i don't know much when it comes to cars/trucks, i don't go offroading all that often but i do occasionally take it offroad when i go down to Mexico, and I am definitely not going for the street look.
    Anyways as far as what if researched from Google, i was considering getting a toytec 3" lift kit, and i want to get some nice new rims but cant decide if i want to go with 17, 18, or 20 inch rims and i don't have any clue as to what kind or how large of tires i want.
    If anyone has any suggestions or comments as far as the suspension, what size of rims i should go with considering I might occasionaly take it off road but not that often, and what size and type of tires i should get, I would greatly appreciate anyones input.
    Thanks a bunch! :D

Edit:
    I am also considering doing some mods on the performance side, I'm thinking about flowmaster exhaust and possibly some sort of CAI as well

2. Jun 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    id go with the 285/65/18 bfg all terrains, with the motto metal 950 rim. that gives you about a 32.5 inch wheel. it will fit nicely under the 3" lift. well thats just my opinion cus thats what i want

3. Jun 15, 2007 at 10:08 AM
    viprbomber

viprbomber Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Hey Stack,
    I don't have my pics in yet, but i went with REVTEC 3" up fron 1.5" on back. I had to do a lot of trimming to the front wheel well, remove the mud flaps. My back mud flaps eventually cracked and the right one melted against the exhaust, so i removed them too. Rick, did you have similar issues? I have also seen Tacomas without lifts having the mudflap problem on the rear.

4. Jun 15, 2007 at 6:16 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    i have the bilstein 5100 adjustable struts. set to 2" to level it. before adding them i had a slight rub on front flaps on a full turn. now my wheels clear. seems like any wheel over 31" will rub on something. what size are your wheels viprbomber?

5. Jun 18, 2007 at 6:22 AM
    viprbomber

viprbomber Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    BFG All Terrains, i think 285/75/16. I had to trim in front as well as reposition some of the lower forward plastic. sound bad but it wasn't, i just took a lot time to think how to do it.

6. Jun 19, 2007 at 8:42 PM
    stackyochips26

stackyochips26 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well what wheels/tires im going to get is still up in the air due to the fact that my local friend is going to be hooking me up with some nice rims at even nicer price but havnt got to picking em out.

But i thought i'd go ahead and buy the 3" toytec pro basic kit for $210
    Is there anything i need to have for installation(such as special tools or parts), i've heard people say its not that hard but i doubt i could do it, so i'm probably going to have my friends help me out. Anything i should know before instalation?
    Also is there anything else that needs to be changed or adjusted after the kit is installed.
    Is getting a Front Diff Drop Kit # 2 needed as well?
    1 more thing i've heard people talking about some vibrating after installing, how bad is this vibrating and do i really need to buy a 1 piece driveshaft?

Thanks for any help since for the most part i'm a complete idiot when it comes to lifts and basically modifying cars/trucks in general:D

7. Jun 20, 2007 at 7:10 AM
    viprbomber

viprbomber Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I don't know about toytec, but i do know about revtec. I did get vibrations from the lift at 45-55. had the tire shop evaluate the tires (checked good), checked the alignment, (good). the last thing was to lower the air pressure to 35psi on the oversized tires. the problem is all but gone i can barely feel it at all. I never heard of going to a single shaft? it is a steering issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top