1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions for better handling?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by adamhalliwill, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sep 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    adamhalliwill

adamhalliwill [OP] Member

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco Base Manual
    Looking to know what I can do to improve the handling of my '09 base regular cab. The stock suspension for the most part seems adequate and reasonably comfortable on most roads but on the highway it tends to sway a bit and the wind pushes it around. It also leans more than I'd like on corners and feels like the chassis loses its composure when going over bumps and rough roads.

I noticed most people here go for the lift setup when it comes to upgrading, but are there options for those who want to keep stock-ish appearance and just improve handling? One of the first things I plan to do when I get the chance will be swapping out the stock shocks with a set of Bilsteins (not sure whether to get the HDs or 5100s). Would this be enough to address the handling issue? What other options are available? (stiffer springs/leafs, poly bushings, sway bars, etc)

Any help is appreciated!

2. Sep 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Long Travel :D

3. Sep 29, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Hellwig anti sway bar...made a big difference in the corners.

4. Sep 29, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    adamhalliwill

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco Base Manual
    I remember with the Saab 9-3 community, the rear swaybar was one of the most effective upgrades and got rid of a lot of the lean in the handling and noticeably improved cornering ability. Definitely considering that option for the Tacoma.

The XRunner is a V6 model right? Wouldn't the springs throw off the weight balance with the 4cyl? How much do those generally cost?

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    adadmhalliwill,

You did not state what tires you have. Are they Dunlops? If so, take them off and plant petunias in your front yard with them. They are a trash tire and Toyota knows it. My truck wallered like a drunken hog until I pulled the Dunlops off and put real tires on, anything but Dunlops.

If you seek further handling improvements, look into the rear anti-sway bar as a second step.

6. Nov 10, 2011 at 4:00 AM
    adamhalliwill

Member:
    MI
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco Base Manual
    I have Firestone Destination LE's on 15" steel rims. Not sure how those rank in comparison to the Dunlops, but they can't be much worse. I'm thinking about getting a set of different rims though if I get new tires and putting a set of winter tires on the existing ones.

What is a quality tire? Suggestions?

7. Nov 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    adamhalliwill,

In my opinion, Dunlops are the worst. Go to "Tirerack.com" and look at the suveys and ratings of the type tire you are seeking. I switched to Michelin LTX M/S2 on my truck both from experience and the ratings. They are rated number 1 accross the board for all parameters. The Michelins cured the sway and wander I was experiencing with the Dunlops as well as are rated for 70,000 miles. I expect to get many more miles from them. Yes, the Michelins are top priced, but you will feel the difference imediately.

8. Nov 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    chris duby

chris duby This is where I write something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
    6" Lift, 22x12 Xtreme Force XF8 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers...
  9. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    Ctoellen

Ctoellen Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 plain jane Tacoma
    I have a 08 plain jane 4 cyl 5 spd. I put a 2 inch lowering kit from 12 performance on there and it cured all the body roll and everything! great kit and easy to put on. im gonna go with some 17 inch konigs and throw away those hockey puck dunlops... looking to put on a rear sway bar too... but i'd recommend getting that kit if you want it to handle...

10. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    after you install better springs, Dont forget to align it and set the Caster alittle high. will help it esp on freeway.

Products Discussed in

To Top