Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Using a spring compressor (Eibachs)

Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
Using a spring compressor (Eibachs)

I'm planning to install my 5100s w/ Eibachs set at 0. Yesterday I picked up the spring compressors from a shop but I'm not sure if they're up to the job.

Do these look OK for my needs? I'm guessing they don't have to be compressed too much since I'm setting the billys at 0...

EDIT: does anyone know a link toa thread containing jack and jackstand positions with pics?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
You are going to die.

Edit:

Something like this is best:

TWO of these will work in a pinch (two shown). Note the much beefier construction:

Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
why arent there 2 units, one for each side of the srpring
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Iakopa84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Iakopa84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
You are going to die.

Agreed. DO NOT try and compress it with that little dinky thing!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
KingMoo is on a distinguished road
KingMoo's Tacoma Gallery
there are 2. I just took a pic of one to show how it looks on the spring
Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo View Post
there are 2. I just took a pic of one to show how it looks on the spring
There are two WAY TOO SMALL compressors.

Look at the size of those u-bolts holding the compressor to the spring. Whne one of those shears and the spring send a metal fragment flying at the speed of a bullet, I hope it does not hit you in the eye.

What I'm trying to say is please don't use those shitty little compressors. Go find another set that's actually built for the job. Those things in your picture look like they're made for lawnmower or ATV repair, not motor vehicle.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I was just about to post a spring compressor thread...anyone know of a compressor that could be used WITHOUT taking the C/O off the truck? I only need to compress them a tiny bit so I can adjust the collar to change the height.... Not trying to thread jack but figured while we were on the subject and you already got your answer.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
I was just about to post a spring compressor thread...anyone know of a compressor that could be used WITHOUT taking the C/O off the truck? I only need to compress them a tiny bit so I can adjust the collar to change the height.... Not trying to thread jack but figured while we were on the subject and you already got your answer.
... If you compress the spring while it's on the truck and the truck is on the ground, the truck will just lean as you compress the spring and no slack will be created that will allow you to move the collar.

Step 1 for you is jack the truck up until the front suspension is fully drooped, then secure it there. At that point you *might* be able to use a small compressor set to compress the spring and adjust the collar.

Honestly, taking the coilovers off these trucks does not take that long, and for safety's sake I'd rather do it right.