Notices

Coil spacer vs. Bilstein 5100

View Poll Results: Coil spacers vs. Bilstein 5100
Bilstein 5100 332 94.32%
Coil spacers 22 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL TRD View Post
I voted for the spacers because depending on what your using the truck for they can be good. I know alot of people that use them but there trucks and suvs are not hardcore off roaders if you want it for the looks there fine but not recommended for serious off road use for sure. The only way you can break a shock like some of the peoples pics show is by jumping your truck. I use them and have had no problems and alot of times they ride a good as stock. just my opinion though i dont do alot of off roadind with my truck I have atvs and a built jeep for that but it looks nice towing everything to the mud pits lol.
If you haul fairly heavily I wouldn't use spacers either. All it takes it to bottom out once and you're completely screwed unless you have taller bump stops. The aftermarket coils are generally stiffer and the 5100's do a better job dampening the ride. In my opinion, the stiffer coils are better for a taller truck. Truck roll in a lifted truck = scary. Spacers do work for looks but it's money wasted in my opinion. I'd rather spend a little more, get the look I want and also ride improvement. For the rear, blocks promote axle wrap and can wear out a leaf pack quicker.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
5100's set at .85 and Eibach coils won't get you to 3", you'll be just shy of 2.5". To get to 3" using Eibach coils you need the 3" kit Toytec sells with a thicker top plate.

But, x2 on the idea! 5100's and lift coils will greatly improve your ride!
I thought Pre-Runners got more lift than a 4X4??
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL TRD View Post
I voted for the spacers because depending on what your using the truck for they can be good. I know alot of people that use them but there trucks and suvs are not hardcore off roaders if you want it for the looks there fine but not recommended for serious off road use for sure. The only way you can break a shock like some of the peoples pics show is by jumping your truck. I use them and have had no problems and alot of times they ride a good as stock. just my opinion though i dont do alot of off roadind with my truck I have atvs and a built jeep for that but it looks nice towing everything to the mud pits lol.
but for the same price 5100s are better...better ride, better quality, easier on the truck

I offroad and my upper ball joints were destroyed by a spacer lift. too much down travel for stock UCAs.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers seem to work fine for me..ride is ok too...I don't jump the truck or hard rock climb...but I do a LOT of off roading...I guess cow trailing as we call it!
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
I ditched my revtek spacer lift and got 5100 all the way around.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same setup as you and really like the stance BUT HATE THE RIDE! I thought about those 2 options but am now saving up for some Maxtrac 4" spindles,,,, I really dont think its going to look bad with an extra inch up front and you cant go wrong going back to factory ride!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
SlickWillie is on a distinguished road
SlickWillie's Tacoma Gallery
Just put Bilstein 5100's on my 2012 today, replacing the already good Bilsteins it came with. Lifted the front 1.85 and the truck looks great. Best of all, the ride quality was not compromised- in fact, I think it improved! Has the same plush feel, resists bottoming and has excellent rebound control. As a newbie to the forum I am very glad I was steered away from the spacer kit I was originally planning to use. No regrets with the 5100's!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Spacer? really? NO MAS por favor
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #29
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
5100 just feel better, I would ditch the spacer
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
fr3shingredient is on a distinguished road
Name: Noel
fr3shingredient's Tacoma Gallery
Real new and this being my first tacoma

I plan on getting the bilstein 5100s with the OME coils

Looked at toytec and both 5100s where the same but one set say its for a 3-4" lift and the other goes 2.5". Did they type it wrong or Both shocks are the same?

Seen couple 2012 with this lift and it leveled out good.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
Tacoranger1712 is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
Tacoranger1712's Tacoma Gallery
is it bad if you have both spacers and 5100's? i suppose they both do the same thing so one isnt needed correct?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoranger1712 View Post
is it bad if you have both spacers and 5100's? i suppose they both do the same thing so one isnt needed correct?
Spacers are bad no matter what.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #33
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Spacers are bad no matter what.
x2
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers are fine if you just want to level your truck, but in all reality the end result is the same just the ride will be better with 5100's and new springs. Also have to remember that 3 inches of lift with shocks and springs is also 3 inches of droop lost in suspension and could bottom shock out.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
They call me Greekbro
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Coil spacer = Junk

5100s = Good
Straight up.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I went coil spacers and i hate myself for doing it.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #37
.45%er

Army:
Why is this thread still alive?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #38
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
Why is this thread still alive?
Is there a poll (can't see I'm on my phone) if so every time someone votes it pops back up
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #39
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
All about the application...with that said, i still wouldnt get a spacer larger than 1" (to provide 2" of lift), ever, even on a mall crawler... Of course, I'm talking about top plate spacers, if you're going through the trouble of using a spring compressor to install a coil spacer, just go the next step and buy 5100's, IMO.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
C Wills is on a distinguished road

Name: Cearyx aka C Gutta
C Wills's Tacoma Gallery
How much do 5100's cost?