Bilstein 5100 332 94.32%
Coil spacers 22 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Justinclark19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
Justinclark19's Tacoma Gallery
Coil spacer vs. Bilstein 5100

Having a problem with ride quality. Currently have a 3" revtek lift but rides like a tank...debating switching to bilstein 5100 but like the overall look currently and am afraid of dropping height since the 5100's only go up 2.5" ....any solutions?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Coil spacer = Junk

5100s = Good
Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
grab the 5100's set them at .85 and grab some eibach coils- then you'll get 3", and a better ride
Are those first gen eibach numbers or second?

And get the 5100's
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I have some unused coil spacers if you want to go that route. I didn't.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I have some unused coil spacers if you want to go that route. I didn't.
Isn't that what revtek is?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Isn't that what revtek is?
I think those are top plate spacers. I have a set of those too that never made it onto either truck.

Uhhhh, nope, I was wrong, well kinda. Revtek = coil spacers, thin top plate spacers & blocks or AALs for the rear.

http://www.revtek.com/toyotasusp.asp#426
Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
grab the 5100's set them at .85 and grab some eibach coils- then you'll get 3", and a better ride
5100's set at .85 and Eibach coils won't get you to 3", you'll be just shy of 2.5". To get to 3" using Eibach coils you need the 3" kit Toytec sells with a thicker top plate.

But, x2 on the idea! 5100's and lift coils will greatly improve your ride!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
Street glide or die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
5100's set at .85 and Eibach coils won't get you to 3", you'll be just shy of 2.5". To get to 3" using Eibach coils you need the 3" kit Toytec sells with a thicker top plate.

But, x2 on the idea! 5100's and lift coils will greatly improve your ride!

Good info thank you.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV
OME
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
All I keep hearing though is with the spacer is your risking ruining cv boot and axles ...any comments?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinclark19 View Post
All I keep hearing though is with the spacer is your risking ruining cv boot and axles ...any comments?
That spacer does not run any more risk of ruining CV boots and joints than a 3" suspension lift does. Spacers have their own set of risks which include binding of the coil or potentially breaking the shock itself (I'm not sure what type of spacer you have).

Check out the site below, it was put together by Camburg to show the downside of spacer lifts. The cases they reference are obviously the extreme case as many people run spacer lifts without any problems.
http://www.camburg.com/toyota/00-06-...y-spacer-lift/
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Revtek Toyota Tacoma 4WD & PreRunner 2005-2011 part number 426 3" coil spacer front, 1 1/4" block rear lift system....
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinclark19 View Post
Revtek Toyota Tacoma 4WD & PreRunner 2005-2011 part number 426 3" coil spacer front, 1 1/4" block rear lift system....
Check out my post above (I edited it and added a link about spacer lifts). You're much better off using lift coils rather than a spacer lift. As far as CV joints and boots, it doesn't matter if you use a spacer or suspension lift, both have the same risk of prematurely wearing the CV boots and joints if they're at too extreme of an angle. A 3" spacer lift and a 3" suspension lift would carry the same risk since the CV's would be operating at the same angle in both set-ups.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers = Crap
Spacers + Blocks = Total Shit

Poll is currently at 19-0 for 5100's...that should tell you something.

Fink
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
man i've got 5100's and eibach's and i love the ride quality. i am planning on getting new UCA's though cause i don't wanna wear anything out too fast
Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
34-0 now...

Fink
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
SMITTY1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathon
SMITTY1's Tacoma Gallery
I have looked at the 5100's but not really sure which kit I want to go with. I plan on getting new wheels and tires as well. I know this post probably dont belong here but where can I peek at some of your rides to help me make up my mind on ride height, kit..etc

Thanks,
Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
FL TRD is on a distinguished road
FL TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the spacers because depending on what your using the truck for they can be good. I know alot of people that use them but there trucks and suvs are not hardcore off roaders if you want it for the looks there fine but not recommended for serious off road use for sure. The only way you can break a shock like some of the peoples pics show is by jumping your truck. I use them and have had no problems and alot of times they ride a good as stock. just my opinion though i dont do alot of off roadind with my truck I have atvs and a built jeep for that but it looks nice towing everything to the mud pits lol.