1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's vs coils reg cab lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by danteisme, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    forgive me if this has been covered, when i searched i couldnt find what i was looking for.

i'm starting to piece together my lift items (got 5100s front, 1.5" toytec AAL for the rear) and i'm saving for the 5100s for the rear next. after searchin i seen a lot of threads on access cabs and double cabs but i couldnt find any on reg. cabs. i thought maybe it might be a little different from the difference in weight from reg cabs to the others. should i just set my front 5100s to 1.75 and call it a day (after i get it aligned obviously) or should i get a set of springs for the front and leave the 5100s at 0? (i''ve been looking at eibach/toytech springs @ 1.6" or OME @ 1.5") i'm only looking to go up the 1.5" on the rear and then maintain the factory rake in the front.

2. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    No, it's a good question.

How are you planning on using your truck; you don't tell us.

For offroading, I'd continue to recommend the spring replacement, as that gives longer uptravel, and more resistance so you won't be bottoming out the suspension as much as you would on a 5100 only lift.

But if you're mostly streeting it - well the reg cab does have lighter springs than the V6 access cab and double cabs. So replacment springs in the front will give you a stiff, firm, in control, sport type ride; and you definitely might prefer to keep the stock springs in that case.

I put OME 885 springs and shocks on my reg cab and it was quite stiff. Over time I've added a few hundred pounds of weight to the truck, the springs and shocks may have relaxed a bit, and I've gotten more used to it.

Whatever you do, don't put the ProComp spring/shock lift on a regular cab. Those suckers are too stiff for a regular cab. See stuntmanhans thread on that.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Seth just did a reg cab with billies the other day, If I remember, they went to either teh first setting or the second setting and it leveled out very nicely.
    If you're looking to keep the rake and have 1.5" lift in the back then it sounds like you're on the right track.

I will note that on my truck, twice the size of yours, a single AAL made for a very stiff ride and kinda uncomfortable over bumps on the highway. I would be concerned with what you put in the back, I don't know about the Toytec AAL, but I think its similar to mine. Look at a set of Icons, I think it might be good for your rear.

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    sorry forgot to mention what the truck is used for. 90% of the time its on road, its my daily driver. the other 10% would be light offroading, trails or crap access roads for work.

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    My advice: let the tires you were planning on running dictate your spring choice.

If you were going to stick with an all season or AT type tire, stick with the stock springs.

But if you're feeling the need for an MT type tire to go where you need to go, the spring upgrade is probably in order.

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i see. whats the reasoning for letting my tires pick my route? i do plan to stick with an AT type tire. i have the Hankook atm rf10

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Everything's a compromise and everything's interrelated right?

Lifting a truck optimizes off-road performance at the expense of on-road performance and comfort.

AT Tires are louder, more expensive, faster wearing, worse gas mileage than all season tires. But better in snow and off road conditions.

MT tires are louder, more expensive, faster wearing, worse gas mileage than AT tires. But even better in off road conditions. (Snow not so much)

Similarly with springs. The stiffer, longer, eibach springs are better on fast or gnarly off roading where you'd bottom out the stock length springs mounted on lifted 5100 spring perches. But they're stiffer and less comfortable rolling down the highway.

Thats why some of the mix & match combinations that folks put on their trucks look so goofy: full off-road suspension on low-profile highway tires? :rolleyes:

Pick your usage, and gear up accordingly. Then, if you don't like the result, change it to something more to your liking.

If you read a lot of the forums, folks will say "build it right the first time." But it often turns out that you don't know what "right" is until you try a couple combinations.

As always - my advice, worth two cents, adjusted for inflation.

8. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    that makes sense. thanks for you input. its much appreciated!

Products Discussed in

To Top